Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1962 Pontiac Bonneville

Go to solution Solved by 64 kiwi boni,

Hey Folks,

I could use some help. Let me describe what's happened. I go out to the garage to start my 1962 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible "Bonnie". She starts and runs great. Park it back in the garage and the next morning the battery is dead. Well, the battery is five years old and I order a new vintage battery but, pick up a brand new temporary battery to run the car until the vintage battery comes in. I drop in the new battery and Bonnie's off to the races and runs great all day.  The next morning back to the garage and the battery is dead. Okay, I disconnect the battery and put it on a charger. I'm thinking there is something  hot and pulling from the battery when the car is not running. When I reconnect the battery after being full charged the car starts right up. I turn the car off without the key in the ignition and none of the electronic accessories runs inside the car: heater, radio, etc. 

At this point I disconnect the battery because I'm still not sure what's going on. The next day when I reconnect the battery to do some testing I hear something running under the hood. It turns out the alternator is buzzing, no key in the ignition. When I disconnect the battery the buzzing stops, reconnect the battery it starts. Try to start the car and it starts with no problem. Today, I reconnect the battery and I don't hear the buzzing. With the battery connected and not key in the ignition, I tap the alternator with my bare knuckles and the alternator starts buzzing again. My question is this, is the problem the alternator or the ignition? How can I be sure either way? The alternator has never made this buzzing noise in the five years I've owned the car. I don't want to go through a rebuild or purchased a new alternator if the problem is something else.

Thanks Much Guys,

Jim

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

6 minutes ago, Jim said:

Hey Folks,

I could use some help. Let me describe what's happened. I go out to the garage to start my 1962 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible "Bonnie". She starts and runs great. Park it back in the garage and the next morning the battery is dead. Well, the battery is five years old and I order a new vintage battery but, pick up a brand new temporary battery to run the car until the vintage battery comes in. I drop in the new battery and Bonnie's off to the races and runs great all day.  The next morning back to the garage and the battery is dead. Okay, I disconnect the battery and put it on a charger. I'm thinking there is something  hot and pulling from the battery when the car is not running. When I reconnect the battery after being full charged the car starts right up. I turn the car off without the key in the ignition and none of the electronic accessories runs inside the car: heater, radio, etc. 

At this point I disconnect the battery because I'm still not sure what's going on. The next day when I reconnect the battery to do some testing I hear something running under the hood. It turns out the alternator is buzzing, no key in the ignition. When I disconnect the battery the buzzing stops, reconnect the battery it starts. Try to start the car and it starts with no problem. Today, I reconnect the battery and I don't hear the buzzing. With the battery connected and not key in the ignition, I tap the alternator with my bare knuckles and the alternator starts buzzing again. My question is this, is the problem the alternator or the ignition? How can I be sure either way? The alternator has never made this buzzing noise in the five years I've owned the car. I don't want to go through a rebuild or purchased a new alternator if the problem is something else.

Thanks Much Guys,

Jim

hi Jim, i would take the alternator wires off and leave the battery connected over night, if in the morning the car starts you have found your fault 👍

i think from what your saying that the alternator is at fault,( it should not buzz) but just for the heck of it, check that you dont have a boot , glove box light staying on too 👍

• Like 1

Greatly appreciated! Something I should have thought of, thank you.

• Like 2

Justa keep in mind,  voltage regulator could be bad.  New alt's have the reg built in.  Can't think of what would make an alt buzzz. 

• Solution
11 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Justa keep in mind,  voltage regulator could be bad.  New alt's have the reg built in.  Can't think of what would make an alt buzzz. 

yes your right JustA.....

Jim, my be a good time to upgrade your old externally regulated alternator to a in built unit, way more robust and tidy's up the engine bay nicely 

• Like 1

Thanks for thinking of me. Bonnie won the monthly competition in March of 2020. She was very fortunate to win the August 2021 calendar slot. I thought we’d let some of those other beauties step into the light.

• Like 1

Jim - I agree with everything that has been said. You might want to take your alternator to your local parts store and have it bench tested, JUSTA to be sure. However, I do agree that the alternator should not buzz and I suspect the voltage regulator has gone south after 60 years (assuming it is still the original alternator).

• Like 1