Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Edelbrock Shuts Down California HQ

Frosty

I was not sure what to make of this story when I first read it.

https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/hot-rod-parts-manufacturer-edelbrock-shuts-down-california-hq

Then I found and read this article, this makes much more sense. It is also an end of era of sorts too. At least Edelbrock will still be around.

https://www.dragzine.com/news/iconic-automotive-company-edelbrock-shutters-so-cal-headquarters/

So another firm is leaving California for a more business friendly state. In this case, Mississippi.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders
1 hour ago, Frosty said:

another firm is leaving California for a more business friendly state. In this case, Mississippi.

Becoming more and more a trend

• Like 1

I've read that the preliminary census data indicates that both New York and California have each lost an electoral vote and Texas has gained at least one as a result of companies moving to more business friendly states and taking their employees with them.

• Like 2

• Founders
21 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I've read that the preliminary census data indicates that both New York and California have each lost an electoral vote and Texas has gained at least one as a result of companies moving to more business friendly states and taking their employees with them.

Definitely not suprised. California has been edging them and their residents out for a long time coming. 

• Like 1

Hmmm, super not  good!, when you put this into the parallel with what your government is talking AND my government are talking.... we are on a cull list! 

Anything petrol powered is looking to be band here by as early as 2023!!! 

This governments we have have pushed forward with electric, to quote" drop our emissions" WHAT A JOKE!! down here we make far que emissions! 

here is a bit of bs   from the media about what they want to do!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/124079047/the-government-will-not-hold-back-jacinda-ardern-on-how-nz-could-go-zero-carbon

• Like 1

Here is a really easy answer . Make ALL PUBLIC  TRANSPORT FREE. 

🙄

humans love to move around , reduce emissions by making it easy to use transport that is electric 🙄

i know I know ! That seems way too simple 😜

• Like 1

I've made this pitch about conversion to an all-electric society before Kiwi. No one wants to talk about it. I see three or four problems no one talks about but will have to be addressed and guess who will be expected to follow along like sheep. All of us because going green is good Mother Earth and therefore all of for us. Baaaa.

1. Full re-charge times need to be as long as the average gas station stop is now to make long distance / cross county driving possible. 50-200-300 miles on a charge is fine but if I have to charge overnight somewhere to keep going, electric vehicles are not practical for cross country driving. Frankly I consider this an engineering problem that will eventually get solved in 5-10 years.

2. Infrastructure upgrades on two levels - first replacing/remodeling old "petrol" stations into charging stations or building new ones - who is going to pay to do that? Mostly likely not the petrol companies. More probably the power/hydro companies. Second who is going to pay for upgrading the currently overwhelmed power grid now that millions of electrical vehicles are now added to the grid every night? Well I'm sure we all will in the form of high power rates and taxes at the national, state, and local levels. This is a long term issue that will take decades to get to the level of sophistication that our current internal combustion/diesel society enjoys. It took a 100 years to get to this point with gas. Electric won't take over immediately either.

3. Re-cycling of electric cars - or at least the battery cells. No dismantling or wrecking yard I know of will touch a battery cell for disposal or reclamation. So how do we properly handle this potential environmental problem?

• Like 2

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Hmmm, super not  good!, when you put this into the parallel with what your government is talking AND my government are talking.... we are on a cull list! 

Anything petrol powered is looking to be band here by as early as 2023!!! 

This governments we have have pushed forward with electric, to quote" drop our emissions" WHAT A JOKE!! down here we make far que emissions! 

here is a bit of bs   from the media about what they want to do!

https://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/climate-news/124079047/the-government-will-not-hold-back-jacinda-ardern-on-how-nz-could-go-zero-carbon

I just read this. I will admit I am not the bright tool in the tool shed when it comes to environmental sciences but....

1. How developed is biomass energy in NZ or the world for it to be considered a viable source of home heating/energy?

2. Why are cows bad in the grand scheme of things (the US New Green Deal doesn't like cows either)? Okay they fart methane as a result of their digestive system. So how the hell is milk production going to stay the same with less cows in NZ???? 

3. The assumption is we are simply going to turn off the oil and gas sectors by 2035 like we won't need them again. Wrong - were lubricants and plastics come from?

4. I find the spending goals quite ambitious.....grab your wallet because the government will be reaching for it soon enough.

• Like 2

Electric bills are out of control now.  Add a car or two that need to be charged daily.  See you added the info from my buddy in FLA that we discussed before as he owns a junkyard.  He has a stack already of battery's that have no place to go.  He will NOT accept another electric car.  Accidents and related fires and battery acid problems have our 1st responders scared as there is no good way to clean up/contain problems after an accident.  What also is not mentioned Frosty, is the power grid that was never imagined to handle what we use now.  Is each power station to have its own windmill????  Want a good laugh?   Recycle windmill blades.   There is no way to cost effectively recycle for these blades that are a city block long.  What happens when the unthinkable happens and the grid goes down?  At my house that includes the well.  A taste of this for a few hours or even a day or two is enough to scare the hell outta you,  on how much we depend on such a fragile system.  Kiwi....need some tips on water collection/storage.

Edited by JUSTA6
  • Like 1

• Founders

Parts of California were dealing with blackouts last summer due to usage. Granted more people at home due to covid playing video games and watching TV plus taxing their AC systems but a real problem for the most liberal state out there with "going green." If everyone had an electric car, oh boy!

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

1. Full re-charge times need to be as long as the average gas station stop is now to make long distance / cross county driving possible. 50-200-300 miles on a charge is fine but if I have to charge overnight somewhere to keep going, electric vehicles are not practical for cross country driving. Frankly I consider this an engineering problem that will eventually get solved in 5-10 years.

My friend brought up talks of making the batteries removable and at a "gas station" you just replace the battery for a "fill up." Said "oh boy, what will that cost!" He said make it a subscription service where you don't "own" the battery. Well, two problems with that:

1. How well are those batteries going to get tested and placed out of service? I surely don't want to get stuck on the side of the road because I replaced my good battery with a soon to be decommissioned battery.
  2. See Frosty's number 2. Going to take time to put those stations everywhere where that is capable.
  3. What does that timeframe look like? Still likely longer than my fill up. Not quite like removing some AA's out of your remote control.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Electric bills are out of control now.

They are out of control here too JustA !, and there has been bugger all spent on the infrstucture here in the 80 plus years, we have mostly hydro power stations and basically they are all made of concrete which is coming to the end of its life span, guess we will be paying for them too!🙄

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

1. How developed is biomass energy in NZ or the world for it to be considered a viable source of home heating/energy?

Biomass ???? , its non existent here!, i think there may be one plant In Auckland at some refuge center.

14 hours ago, Frosty said:

2. Why are cows bad in the grand scheme of things (the US New Green Deal doesn't like cows either)? Okay they fart methane as a result of their digestive system. So how the hell is milk production going to stay the same with less cows in NZ???? 

The Greenies want less cows to reduce the emissions, but the farmers are looking to hybrid grasses that the cows can eat and produce less methane  

15 hours ago, Frosty said:

've made this pitch about conversion to an all-electric society before Kiwi. No one wants to talk about it. I see three or four problems no one talks about but will have to be addressed and guess who will be expected to follow along like sheep. All of us because going green is good Mother Earth and therefore all of for us. Baaaa.

i fear that the do gooders are going to have there way, we have a very small amount of evs' here, some thing like a few thousand, but everyone of these cars are not paying road user tax, as we with gas/ Diesel  cars pay at the pump, these things are getting plugged in at home. how in the future will these cars pay their far share of road taxes since they are wearing out the roads like any other vehicle.  🙄

i had a very interesting email from our plumbers and gas fitter board, who basically are our government appointed  body who regulate us as practitioners, ( we pay them hunderds of $$ to have an annual licence to do our job )

They are so concern about this that they are encouraging all tradesmen to make a submission on the hair brained ideas that have been put forward by the climate commission.

Effectively if they have there way, that would see the end of gas fitters in this country! that too me is pure BS, and a lot of my pairs in the industry, are saying it will never happen🙄

I am not too sure🙄 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

What happens when the unthinkable happens and the grid goes down?  At my house that includes the well.  A taste of this for a few hours or even a day or two is enough to scare the hell outta you,  on how much we depend on such a fragile system.  Kiwi....need some tips on water collection/storage.

Yes JustA, we have power cuts all the time, and the very first time it happened i went out and bought a generator, as we have 2 big freezers full of meat and 2 water pumps, one for the paddocks and one for the house( i like  my water pressure in my shower, so i installed a multi stage pump that does 120 psi all day every day 👍)

And we have 2 large water tanks that i collect all the rain water off both the house and my shed, so we have plenty of water most of the time..... only when some dumb arse leaves the hose on in the ducks pen and it empties the whole lot out !!!:rofl:

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Yes JustA, we have power cuts all the time, and the very first time it happened i went out and bought a generator, as we have 2 big freezers full of meat and 2 water pumps, one for the paddocks and one for the house( i like  my water pressure in my shower, so i installed a multi stage pump that does 120 psi all day every day 👍)

And we have 2 large water tanks that i collect all the rain water off both the house and my shed, so we have plenty of water most of the time..... only when some dumb arse leaves the hose on in the ducks pen and it empties the whole lot out !!!:rofl:

I have a generator too, runs my entire cabin, but we don't have a well and haul our water.  Here at the home, the generator is not big enough to run the whole house.

• Like 2

• Founders
30 minutes ago, Frosty said:

gm's new Superbowl ad for EV's with Will Ferrell. Funny but ugghh.

Very similar reaction. Thought parts were funny but bleeeeh

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

...and here is why Norway leads in EVs. Government incentives - imagine that.....

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a35434371/general-motors-super-bowl-electric-slow-adoption/

• Like 1