Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

GXP 5.3L V8 swap question.

Hello everyone, been a member for a while now but never had a problem with my car so never really had to ask a question but that day has come.   

I have an 08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the stock 5.3L V8 in it, 8th digit C. My son threw a rod in it the other day and I need to just get up and running for now. I found a decent used 5.3L V8 GXP motor from and 06, they say Vin 8th digit is C with a one year warranty. Does anyone know if the 06 and 08 motors are the same. Not much info on the Web for this.   

Thanks in advance. Chris. 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

24 minutes ago, PlagueOfBadgers said:

Hello everyone, been a member for a while now but never had a problem with my car so never really had to ask a question but that day has come.   

I have an 08 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP with the stock 5.3L V8 in it, 8th digit C. My son threw a rod in it the other day and I need to just get up and running for now. I found a decent used 5.3L V8 GXP motor from and 06, they say Vin 8th digit is C with a one year warranty. Does anyone know if the 06 and 08 motors are the same. Not much info on the Web for this.   

Thanks in advance. Chris. 

As far as the engine goes, there shouldn't be an issue. I will assume all you’re getting is the engine? Or just the short block? Either way I again will assume no electronics come with the engine? Your ECM will interface with the components that attach to the engine. MAP, EGR, IAT, etc! So take those from your current engine and you should be fine!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 2

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention yes, long block no accessory, and no core charge. It's going to be disconnect pull out put in and reconnect. I will actually be rolling back the miles on the car by 66K. They also have a one year warranty and do not require mine back for a core so I'm going to send that one out to be rebuilt. Did not blow any holes in the block so hopefully, it has no stress cracks in it. 

2 hours ago, PlagueOfBadgers said:

Thank you for your reply. I forgot to mention yes, long block no accessory, and no core charge. It's going to be disconnect pull out put in and reconnect. I will actually be rolling back the miles on the car by 66K. They also have a one year warranty and do not require mine back for a core so I'm going to send that one out to be rebuilt. Did not blow any holes in the block so hopefully, it has no stress cracks in it. 

Yup! Should be good the ECM is the brains that reads and controls the other sensors. Tells them what to do. The only issues you could see are possible with the MAF on the throttle body. Sometimes they changed the throttle body from one year to the next and the MAF mounting will be different. If that were to occur, either replace the throttle body with your old one or get the correct MAF for that year throttle body, the pigtail should be the same.

Before you take the engine out take good pictures of how the wiring harness are laid out for everything. Fuel injectors, coolant sensor, MAP, IAC, IAT, crank sensor, coil packs, EGR, etc! 

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1