Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Joining the Pontiac clan

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Need to do basically body work and the dreaded overheating issue that just have to diagnose. Probably missing an air dam or fan switch is bad. thank you

• Like 1

Poncho15 - I am touched by your story. I would love to see you get your GTA back on the road.

Your '88 GTA is no different body-wise than my '86 TA. You mentioned you have an overheating problem. The lack of any grille openings hinders cooling in these 3rd-gen Trans Ams. So Pontiac installed a ridged plastic air dam under the front clip, just in front of the front wheels, to force air flow over the radiator. If this air dam is missing or damaged, you are not getting enough air flow to the radiator. These air dams are often damaged on parking lot cement stoppers or curbs.

Please let keep us in the loop as you progress thru your repairs.

image.png.72a72629950dc1fd9034dff1b46ab900.png

image.png.00c697a3ae3f47c1930df90c8179e245.png

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Thanks for the info. I have yet to check the dams. I know about those that if they are missing they overheat especially if you are going over 35mph. I had an 86 trans am in red too like you. That one had the inner plastic baffles missing and overheated. Lets see if I can get it running good again thank you.

Poncho15 - I am touched by your story. I would love to see you get your GTA back on the road.

Your '88 GTA is no different body-wise than my '86 TA. You mentioned you have an overheating problem. The lack of any grille openings hinders cooling in these 3rd-gen Trans Ams. So Pontiac installed a ridged plastic air dam under the front clip, just in front of the front wheels, to force air flow over the radiator. If this air dam is missing or damaged, you are not getting enough air flow to the radiator. These air dams are often damaged on parking lot cement stoppers or curbs.

Please let keep us in the loop as you progress thru your repairs.

image.png.72a72629950dc1fd9034dff1b46ab900.png

image.png.00c697a3ae3f47c1930df90c8179e245.png

• Thanks 1