Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a1967 Lemans convertable and it leaks.  I recently had a new top put on and it still leaks. The place it leaks is on front near each side and it pools in the sides until you turn and then leaks on the driver or passenger.   Anyone have any suggestions?

image.jpeg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Well since I can't see where the leak is coming from it:'s a guess. If you can't see the actual place and you just have water coming in it might be the windshield not the top. The butyl rubber ribbon that seals the glass to the body can break its bond for many reasons. More often than not in the top half area of the glass. The ribbon not the sealant around the ribbon is what seals the glass. If that happens to be the case it can be a real pain to find. The only why to fix it properly is to pull the glass, clean it all up and reinstall. Unless you know for certain that its the top to frame seal leaking don't ignor the windshield leak possibility as that can cause major rusting problems over time.

I would conduct a low pressure water test. Start low at one side with good lighting set up within the car, then move across from there. Then up a few inches at the pillars and continue until hopefully determining the breach location. Take your time before moving as it  may take awhile to create the leak.

I had an issues on the PS were water would collect in the foot well and it drove me nuts but after a good test it turned out to be a bad antenna wire grommet in the upper cowl. What a PITA to figure that one out . 

Interesting comments by all.

One question, is the water coming in from between the convertible top and the top of the windshield? Or is it coming from the windshield itself? I like SPRINT6's idea of the low water pressure test.

On Lucy, my '72 Lemans convertible, my top use to leak water under a very hard rain. The problem for me was the rubber seal between the top of the windshield and the convertible top was deformed in places. I think was due to be on the car a very long time. It was replaced two years ago and I have not noticed a leak (as yet). So inspect that rubber seal carefully. It maybe partially crushed or deformed and its allowing the water to collect or penetrate - as you've described.