• This topic is locked This topic is locked
7 replies to this topic

#1 hglover76

hglover76

n00bcake

• Women of FP
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 05-December 11
  • Interests:I am hoping to meet some ppl that might be able to advise me. My grandfather, Oscar Cox, owned the Pontiac Dealership in Lawton, OK for many, many years. He passed before I was born, leaving me only stories involving the dealership back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I have looked for YEARS every chance I could for some original Pontiac memorabilia-No luck yet. WTB: Original signs with the red Pontiac chief, ANY items with the red chief on them. I LOVE the old hood ornents! I would LOVE to collect original Pontiac items in memory of my grandfather. Would BE IN HEAVEN if someone has any item with Cox Pontiac Dealership on it. Obtaining any original items would mean the world to me. If anyone has advice about how to find something from my grandfathers dealership, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know these items are "out there" somewhere and I can't rest until I am able to obtain some of them! Thanks for any suggestions or pointers you can give! Excited to hear from you guys.
  • Name:Heather
  • Car:Sadly, no pontiac
  • Style:Coupe

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:14 AM

My grandfather owned the Pontiac dealership in Lawton ok back in the 50's & 60's. I know there have to be items "out there" that might have Cox Pontiac on them. If anyone knows of any original items I would be very interested in seeing them!! Hope you guys can advise me on the best approach to find these things. I have spent years searching and still don't have anything. I love the hood ornaments on the old pontiacs before they switched to the arrow. My grandpa died before I was born and I feel like these things would be wonderful to have to remind me of him because most of the stories I've heard about him involved the Pontiac Dealership. Anxious to get some feedback from you guys! :drool:

Tired of the ads? Register to get rid of them!

#2 Ghost

Ghost

Mr. Wicked

• Administrators
  • 5,792 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09
  • Name:Ghost
  • Year:2006
  • Car:G6
  • Trim:Base
  • Engine:2.4 I4
  • Style:Sedan
  • Color:Black

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

i guess the best way is to search really. i think Frosty may be able to help.
Forum Rules & Guidelines Please Read!
Posted Image

of all the things i lost, i miss my mind the most.

#3 Ringo64

Ringo64

It's Good to Be King

• Root Admin
  • 9,062 posts
  • Joined 24-December 09
  • Name:Jim
  • Trim:GT
  • Engine:3.5L LX9
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:01 PM

I'd check out different swap meets and things of the a like that happen a lot with the Pontiac/GM crowd.

Hood ornaments would be good there too but might be easier to find at junk yards, ebay, the alike.

Who knows someone might read this and have something for you :bump:

#4 Frosty

Frosty

Experienced Pontiac Poster

• 1,858 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:11 PM

Hmm…I accept the challenge. A couple of thoughts. There are a couple of Pontiac Oakland Club Int’l (POCI) chapters in Oklahoma. You can try to contact them to see if their members have anything.

Indian Nations Chapter (OK)
Web: http://www.indianati...freeservers.com

Central Oklahoma Pontiac Association (OK)
Web: http://www.okcpontiac.org

There are no GTO Association of America club in Oklahoma, but there are some in nearby states:

http://www.gatewaygto.org/ - Missouri
http://www.wichitagto.com/dnn/ - Kansas
http://www.gtoant.com/ - North Texas

Also, ads and classifieds in Hemming Motor News. Perhaps members of your local AACA club (Antique Automobile Club of Amerca) might have suggestions too.

Finally Tim Dye of the Pontiac Oakland Museum in Pontiac Illinois has a ton of dealer memoribillia may have some leads.

http://www.pontiacoaklandmuseum.org/

#5 Ringo64

Ringo64

It's Good to Be King

• Root Admin
  • 9,062 posts
  • Joined 24-December 09
  • Name:Jim
  • Trim:GT
  • Engine:3.5L LX9
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 December 2011 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

WANT!

#6 Ghost

Ghost

Mr. Wicked

• Administrators
  • 5,792 posts
  • Joined 30-December 09
  • Name:Ghost
  • Trim:Base
  • Engine:2.4 I4
  • Style:Sedan

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

WANT!

BUY! it then.
Forum Rules & Guidelines Please Read!
Posted Image

of all the things i lost, i miss my mind the most.

#7 hglover76

hglover76

n00bcake

• Women of FP
  • 2 posts
  • Joined 05-December 11
  • Interests:I am hoping to meet some ppl that might be able to advise me. My grandfather, Oscar Cox, owned the Pontiac Dealership in Lawton, OK for many, many years. He passed before I was born, leaving me only stories involving the dealership back in the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I have looked for YEARS every chance I could for some original Pontiac memorabilia-No luck yet. WTB: Original signs with the red Pontiac chief, ANY items with the red chief on them. I LOVE the old hood ornents! I would LOVE to collect original Pontiac items in memory of my grandfather. Would BE IN HEAVEN if someone has any item with Cox Pontiac Dealership on it. Obtaining any original items would mean the world to me. If anyone has advice about how to find something from my grandfathers dealership, I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know these items are "out there" somewhere and I can't rest until I am able to obtain some of them! Thanks for any suggestions or pointers you can give! Excited to hear from you guys.
  • Name:Heather
  • Car:Sadly, no pontiac

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:30 AM

Thanks Frosty for the information! I had a feeling some of you guys could point me in a good direction!!

Ringo64, love that!

Really appreciate you guys taking the time to give me some ideas. Maybe I will get lucky and someone here will have something they'd be interested in selling. I will check out the sites you listed Frosty I watched eBay for a couple of years and.... Nothing so I got discouraged and it's been a few months since I've spent much time on eBay but I may need to check back!

If I find anything from the sites you listed I will let you know!

Thanks again!

#8 Frosty

Frosty

Experienced Pontiac Poster

• 1,858 posts
  • Joined 19-April 10
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 December 2011 - 09:31 AM

I am glad I can help. Networking with people is the best way. I have similar problem. I am looking for a small local ice cream company signs and memornillia for the Detroit Blue Ribbon Ice Cream company. My wife's grandparents met there. The company went out of business in the late 50s or early 60s. So I can appreciate what you might be going through.

It's been my experience that "dealer" info is often harder to find for many reasons. The biggest reason being once a new car is sold or traded in, the original dealer badge was often removed. Dealer memorabillia is just now starting to gain some momentum, but info and memorbillia for local dealers is significantly harder to find than those of the "super" dealers like Baldwin-Motion, Royal Pontiac, Knaefel, etc. That is because no one kept track of stuff or thought to keep it. I wish you well in your search.

Local swap meets, antique shows and flea markets will be other sources. I would think the closer you look to your family's dealership location, the more success I suspect you might have.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users