Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Battery Cable Recommendation Wanted

Okay guys, looking at my battery cables on Lucy and I see the insulation is starting to shrink away from the post connector on both the positive and negative leads, exposing some of the copper wire. Not a good situation IMO. Time to replace the battery cables with new ones. I run an Optima battery in Lucy, so it has both top posts and side posts. So I really don't care which style of battery cable I run, so long it looks good and it's safe. 1972 was the first year for side post batteries in many GM vehicles, so having side posts is not period incorrect for Lucy.

After looking at the online parts catalogs: YearOne, Summit Racing, NPD, OPGI, Rock Auto and Jegs - I can't seem to find a matching set of positive and negative cables that fit Lucy. I often find the battery to ground cable but not the matching one to the starter.

So does anyone have a recommendation where I can order a matching set of direct-fit, "non-universal kit" battery cables for a '72 Lemans/GTO?

Thanks guys!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

Okay guys, looking at my battery cables on Lucy and I see the insulation is starting to shrink away from the post connector on both the positive and negative leads, exposing some of the copper wire. Not a good situation IMO. Time to replace the battery cables with new ones. I run an Optima battery in Lucy, so it has both top posts and side posts. So I really don't care which style of battery cable I run, so long it looks good and it's safe. 1972 was the first year for side post batteries in many GM vehicles, so having side posts is not period incorrect for Lucy.

After looking at the online parts catalogs: YearOne, Summit Racing, NPD, OPGI, Rock Auto and Jegs - I can't seem to find a matching set of positive and negative cables that fit Lucy. I often find the battery to ground cable but not the matching one to the starter.

So does anyone have a recommendation where I can order a matching set of direct-fit, "non-universal kit" battery cables for a '72 Lemans/GTO?

Thanks guys!

Well, first off try this place. https://www.americanautowire.com/  they appear to carry both side & top mount & both positive & ground. 

That said would you want to try something different? Something a little more; well me😁. If so let me know and we can pursue that course. If not I’m confident the standard type cables are adequate.

Thanks for the tip. I will consider your offer.

I downloaded their catalog. They only have battery cables listed for '67-70 GTO/Lemans (which I can use).

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

Thanks for the tip. I will consider your offer.

I downloaded their catalog. They only have battery cables listed for '67-70 GTO/Lemans (which I can use).

Frosty, if you go to their home page than pick products from the menu there is page after page of products, but mix in are the battery cables. Some are for 1972 455 cid  Cutlasses & Skylarks, maybe those will work better?

1 hour ago, Frosty said:

I will take a hard look Last Indian. Thanks.

Fond these, maybe their good, maybe not.  https://www.opgi.com/lemans/GT03435/

Edited by Last Indian