Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi ? To ask I am having a hard time choose a cam shaft my car is a 1976 firebird with a 350  board .30 with b46 heads headers .edelbrock intake and carb 750 turbo 350 transmission with shift hit and 410 gears the guy I bought car off of put a Summit cam 1803 in it the lift is 480.480 .my car goes ok but it will not do burn outs or it has a hard time I was thinking of changing the cam shaft .does anyone know what would be the best cam shaft for my car it feels like a dog thanks

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

19 hours ago, Cswain87 said:

Hi ? To ask I am having a hard time choose a cam shaft my car is a 1976 firebird with a 350  board .30 with b46 heads headers .edelbrock intake and carb 750 turbo 350 transmission with shift hit and 410 gears the guy I bought car off of put a Summit cam 1803 in it the lift is 480.480 .my car goes ok but it will not do burn outs or it has a hard time I was thinking of changing the cam shaft .does anyone know what would be the best cam shaft for my car it feels like a dog thanks

We would need a little more information than that to answer with any good advice! 

What kind of Edelbrock? Two barrel, 4 barrel? High rise, duel plane, torquer? What kind of carb? 

What is the intake lift & duration, exhaust lift & duration, overlap?

What kind of vacuum are you pulling at idle & in gear? Do you know?

What kind of torque converter? What kind of 350 6 cyl version or V8? Do you know for sure?

I owned a Z/28 for 35 years. To make a long story short, I put a 350 turbo in from a 6 cyl, than heavily modified it, more clutch an friction plates, a Fairbanks shift kit, (the only one worth putting in), 6 cyl converter. I ran 4 11 gears. It was a 600 hp 302 DZ motor! From a stand still it would not spin the tires! Because in gear at idle it pulled 4” of vacuum! But it was an 11 second car! On the street from a light just about anything could beat it of the line, but after 30 feet the only thing they could see was tail lights getting smaller!

So my point is what is it you what vs what do you really have that maybe you don’t have setup just right!

Edited by Last Indian

• 1 month later...

Universal camshafts are not really optimal.  I've found that custom cams work best for specific engine families.

With that being said, what's your total timing and how quickly does the curve come in?

• 3 months later...

DON'T  EVER !!!! ,,,  try to compare a chevy engine with a Pontiac 350. They are not alike in any way except they are both 350 CI. The chevy engine acts completely different then a Pontiac 350. It really doesn't matter what cam you use but the cam you have now is WAY to big. Pontiac's use their power in the bottom end & a cam with about 420 lift is all your going to need. Something with about 230 duration & 420 lift is all you going to need & anything bigger is just a waste & will make it run badly. The heads your using & size of the engine would preform best with the good old std. Ram Air III cam or when you go to buy one use the the one listed by any of the companies as an S cam, Pontiac used that in their 350 HO engine & it makes 330 HP with the # 48 heads which are the Ram Air III heads . But with your heads it will still give you good performance & about 300 HP.

• Like 1