Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a 2008 base grand prix, I want to install a supercharger with the intake mainifold, I dont know what else I'll need other than a new fuel pump. I have the injectors, supercharger, and intake monifold

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

On 10/4/2018 at 6:24 AM, Logdog said:

I have a 2008 base grand prix, I want to install a supercharger with the intake mainifold, I dont know what else I'll need other than a new fuel pump. I have the injectors, supercharger, and intake monifold

You’ll need to get the pcm flashed and be advised the bottom end & heads of a NA 3800 is not the same as a supercharged 3800. You’ll run the risk of blowing the motor!

I'm pretty sure you will need the cylinder heads also...With the 3.8 supercharged engine the fuel injectors are located in the heads....With the naturally aspirated version the injectors are located in the intake manifold.......Pretty much the only parts that are the same between them is the block and the crankshaft......As Last Indian indicated........

12 hours ago, Last Indian said:

You’ll need to get the pcm flashed and be advised the bottom end & heads of a NA 3800 is not the same as a supercharged 3800. You’ll run the risk of blowing the motor!

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

13 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

I'm pretty sure you will need the cylinder heads also...With the 3.8 supercharged engine the fuel injectors are located in the heads....With the naturally aspirated version the injectors are located in the intake manifold.......Pretty much the only parts that are the same between them is the block and the crankshaft......As Last Indian indicated........

Actually the crankshaft is the single biggest concern. No matter which series, 1,2 or 3 the main difference between an NA motor and a supercharge one with respect to increased force on the crank was the supercharged crank was forged steel the NA motor was cast iron! So you really need to weight that as a structural disconnect.

Has been a few years since I've had a 231 apart....That  was a series 2 supercharged engine from my brothers 40th anniversary GTP....If I remember correctly the main difference between the series 2 and the series 3 is the fly by wIre system and maybe the supercharger model or housing to accommodate that..??? I don't think that I have ever redone a series 1....But do know that series 1 has a taller deck height..??

As far as the forged crankshaft that makes perfect sense too me.....

Again if I remember correctly the pistons in the S/C engine are different that being the size of the dish..(smaller but deeper) to lower the compression ratio and compensate for the different compression height..??  With full floating wrist pins..Compared to the naturally aspirated engine...Also the ring landings are wider and the rings beefier to help control the blowby better with the boost..(basically when turning a negative into a positive with the added cylinder pressure).. Again not 100% sure but think the front and rear oil seals may be different too...Also the connecting rods are shorter than the N/A and are forged powdered metal..?? 

Also am pretty sure that the balance shaft is different....(Heavier)..Am also thinking that the harmonic balancer is different than the N/A engine too....

Please feel free to correct me on any of those details or anything I that I might have left out or be incorrect on...I am always willing to learn....

Knowledge is power....

TLB

3 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

Has been a few years since I've had a 231 apart....That  was a series 2 supercharged engine from my brothers 40th anniversary GTP....If I remember correctly the main difference between the series 2 and the series 3 is the fly by wIre system and maybe the supercharger model or housing to accommodate that..??? I don't think that I have ever redone a series 1....But do know that series 1 has a taller deck height..??

As far as the forged crankshaft that makes perfect sense too me.....

Again if I remember correctly the pistons in the S/C engine are different that being the size of the dish..(smaller but deeper) to lower the compression ratio and compensate for the different compression height..??  With full floating wrist pins..Compared to the naturally aspirated engine...Also the ring landings are wider and the rings beefier to help control the blowby better with the boost..(basically when turning a negative into a positive with the added cylinder pressure).. Again not 100% sure but think the front and rear oil seals may be different too...Also the connecting rods are shorter than the N/A and are forged powdered metal..?? 

Also am pretty sure that the balance shaft is different....(Heavier)..Am also thinking that the harmonic balancer is different than the N/A engine too....

Please feel free to correct me on any of those details or anything I that I might have left out or be incorrect on...I am always willing to learn....

Knowledge is power....

TLB

Two Lane you’re right on! The other issue for Logdog is as you’ve pointed out, fly by wire.

Logdog if you haven’t visited ZZperformance website you might want to consider it.

Thank you all for the help. I have the the cylinder heads and the fuel injectors as well. As far as everything else, I domt understand fully but I'm thinking its gonna be more difficult than I think. I'm going to have to replace the fuel pump as well. I'm not sure what all I'll need in order to make it work

23 hours ago, Logdog said:

Thank you all for the help. I have the the cylinder heads and the fuel injectors as well. As far as everything else, I domt understand fully but I'm thinking its gonna be more difficult than I think. I'm going to have to replace the fuel pump as well. I'm not sure what all I'll need in order to make it work

Logdog, I’m not trying to discourage as much I am cautioning you and I think Two Lane is doing the same. 

I would really recommend you go to https://zzperformance.com website and go to the supercharge section and then the L36 supercharger kit, I know yours is an L26, but it talks about the L26 in that section. Then email them and see if you can get some input from them.

LogDog

I'm not trying to discourage you either...This is a major project....Don't like to see anyone spend a lot of time and money.... Only to be dissatisfied with the results.....

I am not familiar with ZZperformance but if they offer a complete kit for your application or can  point you in the right direction  that would be the way to go...

If Last Indian recommends them.... It would without a doubt be worth checking into...