Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

VW CEO sees a diesel "renaissance"

FeedBot

Volkswagen TDI 'clean diesel' television ad screencapDespite single handedly turning much of the world against diesel engines with an emissions cheating scandal that was revealed in 2015, Volkswagen is doubling down on them. Volkswagen Group CEO Matthias Mueller told Bloomberg that diesel could come back stronger than ever. "Diesel will see a renaissance in the not-too-distant future because people...

View the full article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Wow! That's some good stuff he's smoking right there. I wonder if I can afford to buy any of it....or at least inhale it.

I won't debate the advantages of diesel engines over gasoline engines. However America and most of North America has endured the Oldsmobile diesel quality issues of the late '70s/early '0s and the VW diesel emissions scandal, which has effectively killed demand for diesels in passenger cars for most of North America. So diesels are tough sell here and will continue to be for a long time to come. Diesels in pickup trucks have tons of advantages with none of stigma.

• Like 1

On 3/8/2018 at 10:59 AM, Frosty said:

Wow! That's some good stuff he's smoking right there. I wonder if I can afford to buy any of it....or at least inhale it.

I won't debate the advantages of diesel engines over gasoline engines. However America and most of North America has endured the Oldsmobile diesel quality issues of the late '70s/early '0s and the VW diesel emissions scandal, which has effectively killed demand for diesels in passenger cars for most of North America. So diesels are tough sell here and will continue to be for a long time to come. Diesels in pickup trucks have tons of advantages with none of stigma.

I believe you’ll find he’s smoking the end of the tail pipe! In the current time we are in, a car used for every day transportation, diesel has no advantage. The cons of pollution for human health out weighs any fuel economy. Without going into a long white paper saga it’s this simple.

Diesel consists of long chain carbon compounds and a larger quantity of them that produce more energy, but the two by-products it leaves behind are sulfur dioxide (acid rain & pulmonary issues) and particulate (soot & or Nox) Both cause major health issues to mammals, in other words us! This can’t be changed, only minimized. 

On the other hand we have petrol/gas. This fuel is made up of short chain carbon compounds and a lesser quantity of them than diesel, less energy out, The by-product it leaves is Co2 (greenhouse gas), but not harmful to mammals health. 

The one single thing every ecologist excludes from the reason and solution of Co2, greenhouse gas are the natural scrubbers that exist and would remedy, to a great degree, if not completely, this issue. We have exacerbated this problem through deforestation, both on the planet as a whole, but even more relevant are the two largest natural scrubbers on the planet. The North/South mountain ranges of the Rocky’s that run from the tip of Chilly to Alaska and the Ural Mountains that run from the Kara Sea above Russia, to almost the Caspian Sea in Southwest Asia. The deforestation as well as other activities have disrupted the natural effect these two mountain ranges have on sequestering Co2.