Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1964 Pontiac Tempest Trans Leak

Morning,

I have a very bad transmission fluid leak between the engine and transmission that I need to get fixed.  Looking for any advice that can guide me to the proper/easiest transmission removal procedure and what to look for and then repair to stop the leak?  Transmissions are my least knowledgeable area on a car of this time frame.

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Probably front pump seal...Hope this helps

0424171342.jpgProud

0424171342a.jpg

0424171343.jpg

0424171343a.jpg

This manual is the one actually put out by Pontiac Motor division. 100% sure it is accurate..... after removal from car just slide torque convverter out..No further disassembly required...can use seal puller  to remove seal from front pump... No need to remove front pump .From trans .Just make sure torque converter is slipped in properly...(will feel it drop into place) before putting back into car....

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

Two Lane,

Appreciate the quick post and guidance!  That looks fairly straight forward, even for this Air Force veteran (saw you were Navy) and thanks for your service.  I will change trans fluid while I am at it...torque converter too?  Assume any local auto parts store would have the seal?

Mike

Mike G

Don't know if the front pump seal would be available at local autoparts store. They used to be years ago. Might have to procure one from another source..While have apart might as well replace the seal at the rear also..Where the drive shaft yoke goes into the trans. As far as the torque converter goes. If the hub where it goes thru the seal into the pump doesn't have excessive wear from contact with the seal.. It will probably be OK. The trans internally is the same as a Chevy Powerglide. Only the case is different..Seals should be the same..Thank you for your service also..Let know what happens....One Other thing make sure to lube new seal with trans fluid before reinstalling converter.,

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

A couple of suggestions for working under it ... presuming you don't have a lift.  Transmission jacks are great ... but you don't have the room if you're only on stands or ramps. A 2x10 stretched the width of the car, with blocks of 2x6 stacked flat under the ends provides a wonderfully stable support without you trying to bench press the damn thing under the car. Ease it down from either end by removing blocks ... lift it back up the same way. And while you've got it out ... Universal joints are cheap. If you haven't changed them recently, MAW do it now and benefit from the cheap insurance against future failure.

Evening Professur,

Appreciate this additional advice and will see how this will work when I get started!  It is the getting started part that is my next hurtle :)!!!