Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I’m thinking of tuning my G8 with a Superchips Cortex programmer. My concern is when I reload the OEM calibrations can a GM dealer tell that the ECM/TCM has been flashed? I don’t want to void the powertrain warranty.

thanks...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Yes I think they can and there is very few tunes out there that can not be seen. The ones that are invisable are pretty pricey.

It used to be with HP tuners they couldnt tell but I did see a TSB out there that they can tell now, but they only look if theres evidence such as a blown engine or a code that wont go away. I mean if your AC stops working or something they arent going to check the PCM.

Warranty only replaces weak OEM parts with the same.

Yes I think they can and there is very few tunes out there that can not be seen. The ones that are invisable are pretty pricey.

Yea I’ve heard the term “stealth tune” but don’t know much about it. Actually I know little about tuning at all as I’ve never had a car tuned before.

wats that other one sct i think i hear its better

The only other I know of from SC is the flashpaq. I’ve also seen DiabloSport advertised.

Easy but kinda pricey solution is buy another ECM/TCM then tune that and switch them when you go in for dealer work, etc...

Vector Motorsports has a pre tuned ECM for $349.99. Only thing is it doesn’t do anything for the transmission and the TCM is inside the trans, at least that’s what I have been told.

' date='Apr 21 2010, 09:12 AM' post='21712']

This is why I hate warranties...

The do have their good and bad, I like the idea that if something messes up there isn’t anything out of my pocket and I used to be able to work on my cars. I had rather do my own work because I have found few dealers that I trust to do touch my car.

It used to be with HP tuners they couldnt tell but I did see a TSB out there that they can tell now, but they only look if theres evidence such as a blown engine or a code that wont go away. I mean if your AC stops working or something they arent going to check the PCM.

Warranty only replaces weak OEM parts with the same.

I know it’s a gamble I may never need powertrain work done at all.

wait dyno tune that beast

I’ve read about others that have had their G8’s dyno tuned and the results are fantastic. I don’t know where to go. When I lived in MI I had more options now that I live in a small town in TN most people have never heard of a G8 much less where to put one on a dyno.

Dude, no. Vector Motorsports or Livernois Tune. Those are the best bets for the G8. Are you on any G8 forums?

Yea I’m on the GRRRR8.com board and there are plenty of guys there that have tuned their cars with Vector or Livernois.

OK, cause I'm on GRRRR8 and G8Board.

The only ones that I have heard of working the best are those 2. But you'r right about Vector not having the Transmission tune, I believe...

I've been hearing real good things about the Livernois tune though :woot:

OK, cause I'm on GRRRR8 and G8Board.

The only ones that I have heard of working the best are those 2. But you'r right about Vector not having the Transmission tune, I believe...

I've been hearing real good things about the Livernois tune though :woot:

You’re right at least from what I’ve read the tunes from Vector and Livernois do add more power. I’ve got a buddy that bought a SC flashpaq programmer for his 2010 Camaro SS; he ended up taking it back because he couldn’t tell enough difference to spend the money for it. But he didn’t change trans calibrations either. Only reason I like the SC tune is it’s easier to carry a handheld programmer in the car if I’m out and want to modify ECM/TCM calibrations. I’m starting to think I’ll get more bang for my buck tuning the tans in conjunction engine at least with a handheld programmer.

Look up Diablosport Trinity.....

It's... AMAZING.. to say the least. You buy it, it's basically a DashHawk on sterioids if you know what they are.....

It can monitor and log any PID the car monitors and has over 100mb of space to do so.. so you can do hours of logs. Also has a built in code reader.. save you $ when crap happens for you and family/friends... especially when its something stupid like the gasgap CEL like I had the other week...... and needless to say, it includes tuning.

It comes with a "boxed" tune, made for your vehicle/engine... not customized for you at all. You will gain some power from it regardless, and for G8 GT's you can enable/disable Displacement on Demand for more power, ex if you are tracking it you can turn it off, going a trip, turn it on. You can get a custom tune made for your vehicle.. there's guys on their Forums, one in particular I know that has personally done at this point over 300 cars.. you log like 8 different parameters with the Trinity, then send the log files to him and your car's original base tune file, and he goes to town and adjust spark advance and all that jazz, sends you a tune file back you load into the Trinity, then flash to the car. Then you have to do some more logging, and then he will further revise the tune till it's spot on. He charges about $100 or so for that. there's other guys on there that do it but he's the most experienced.

As of right now... it only supports ECM's. HOWEVER... keep it hush hush but it will support TCM tuning within a month or two.

http://www.diablosport.com/index.php?modul...lay&pid=151

You'll get the most out of any tune with supporting mods.

AT LEAST, intake and exhaust. With the increased airflow going in, and exhaust leaving, you can play with the AFR to get the most of it.

Also.....IMHO.... Avoid Vector. There's tons of stories on ls1gto.com that have been covered up because their a sponsor there, one of which where they blew a engine... and several where they went elsewhere and had someone else tune the car, and they got much MUCH better results and found out Vector's was shit.... Also Camaro5 has some interesting stories where a GM Tech that literally writes the ECM software and designs ECMS can in and served Kurt or one of his workers proving that GM can track how many times the ECM has been flashed on the Camaro ECM's. (Kurt said they can't, GM lab guy said yes with extensive details, Kurt was quite after that...)

And no... this isn't biased from my dealings with Chris....

Get your own custom tune from someone you trust is what I'm saying. A Dyno shop, or Trinity like i wrote above. trinity is nice because you can flash and adjust some parameters yourself, and go back to stock if you want.

Haha that's funny because I was just looking at the trinity right before I went to bed and if you go on GRRRR8.com they're advertising a sale on a sit, can't remember which one though. I'm thinking about getting that once I get my car.

Haha that's funny because I was just looking at the trinity right before I went to bed and if you go on GRRRR8.com they're advertising a sale on a sit, can't remember which one though. I'm thinking about getting that once I get my car.

I got mine on MarylandSpeed once the price dropped to like $600 or something. Used to be $1,000 when they first came out.

The Predators they are still making are going to be phased out, and no new features added to them. TCM will be for Trinity owners only.

Do eeeeeeeet!!!

This is the guy I use for tunes. Once you get it.. and the G8.. contact him.

http://www.dslogredux.com/DiabLew_Tune/

His site isn't the very best but he does hell of a good job. Tell him his neighbor sent ya lol. (He lives like 5 minutes from me)

Do eeeeeeeet!!!

This is the guy I use for tunes. Once you get it.. and the G8.. contact him.

http://www.dslogredux.com/DiabLew_Tune/

His site isn't the very best but he does hell of a good job. Tell him his neighbor sent ya lol. (He lives like 5 minutes from me)

I def will have to! Thanks for the tip! :lol2: