Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

clutch stuck up on ws6...

So everybody's dealt with the "sticky clutch" on these. But it's sticking DOWN. mine, of course as usual had to be WEIRD and stick UP. First took fine, go to shift to second clutch is stuck all the way up. Stomp it and something inside the bell housing was so bound up that the pressure actually forced the master hydraulic line to pop right off the slave. Pulled the Trans and my initial idea was a jammed slave, but my findings are otherwise. Slave? It's working just fine. Moves in and out without issue. I don't know how to tell whether a clutch is good or not off of a motor but it's sitting on a box next to the car, and the plates look fantastic (clutch has 10k-ish miles and is a performance clutch so she's pretty good it seems.)

I have it all torn down but nobody really has much for ideas or answers for me and to tell ya the truth, I'm stumped. going to wind up replacing the master, the hydraulic line, the slave, the pilot bearing, and I'm doing everything in my power not to replace the clutch itself.

After the load up, tow home and getting it jacked up and started wrenching, I noticed there's a bit of a ring INSIDE the hydraulic line on the slave side. One half of this ring was damaged and it doesn't appear to be replaceable so that's why I'm saying piss on it and replacing the whole line and master. I just don't want to slap it together and still be stuck.

Does anybody have any ideas? What was so freaking wrong with a mechanical clutch lol they were so much more simple!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Start @ the pedal and check all your linkage for binding, pilot should be fine unless noticeable wear (oblong hole). I would remove lines N blow through with compressor, unless blocked or rusted, I wouldn't waste $$ on lines. If the master is putting out enough to blow the line....Masters good. Put er back together w/ alignment tool in place. Check that all fingers are at the same height. Sounds like pressure plate is your problem. Maybe a broken spring. You should be able to work clutch assembly and watch whats going on without the tranney in place. I'm in the same mess, have mine torn out, but can't get a correct pressure plate anymore...nobody makes anything for the step up flywheel on my Bird.