Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Location of Vehicle Speed sensor (VSS)?

Hey all,

I’m in the process of rewiring a 1976 trans am and I am unable to locate the VSS. Everything I’ve read so far just points to 3rd gen vehicles. 1970s have a VSS?

thanks!

Found where the speedometer cable ran to the transmission and it is mechanical. American Autowire instructions say to run the cables to the VSS but that’s not for the 1976 despite the instructions saying for 1976.

Edited by Foxcraft
  • Confused 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I would say that you don't have a vehicle speed sensor if that TA has its original equipment.   That would be more for the On Board Diagnostic I (OBD) vehicles in the early 90's to about 1995 and then the OBD II compliant vehicles after that.  Your vehicle would need a Powertrain Control Module / Transmission Control Module or an electronic speedometer to make use of the signal on a VSS connection.

Rick

• Like 1

I am not certain that a 1976 Firebird would have a VSS, just the speedometer cable since all the gages are analog. If you have installed some sort of electronic controls that now requires a VSS, then you need something to convert the analog out of the transmission to digital. I believe Painless Performance wiring has one. 

If the car is stock and going to remain mostly stock, I don't think there is a VSS or a need for one.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, B52bombardier1 said:

I would say that you don't have a vehicle speed sensor if that TA has its original equipment.   That would be more for the On Board Diagnostic I (OBD) vehicles in the early 90's to about 1995 and then the OBD II compliant vehicles after that.  Your vehicle would need a Powertrain Control Module / Transmission Control Module or an electronic speedometer to make use of the signal on a VSS connection.

Rick

14 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I am not certain that a 1976 Firebird would have a VSS, just the speedometer cable since all the gages are analog. If you have installed some sort of electronic controls that now requires a VSS, then you need something to convert the analog out of the transmission to digital. I believe Painless Performance wiring has one. 

If the car is stock and going to remain mostly stock, I don't think there is a VSS or a need for one.

Ditto, Ditto. No VSS in a “70s” /2nd gen F body! All where gear driven speedo cable to an analog gage.

• Like 2