Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Is rebuilding the engine necessary?

Go to solution Solved by Frosty,

Hey all!

First post here. I recently bought my dream car, 1976 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am with a 455 engine. The prior owner kept it mainly at stock and appears to have only added a Fitech fuel injection system and duel exhaust. I am wanting to upgrade the engine but see a lot of posts stating that the engine needs to be rebuilt first before upgrades are added or it wouldnt be able to handle the upgrades. Is this actually true? Yes, the engine is old but it appears to be in great shape. Is it more of a better safe than sorry situation?

Thanks!

IMG_5551.jpeg

IMG_5566.jpeg

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hey Frosty,

I do believe the engine is over 100k. This car had a one time owner and the guy who previously had it just got old. I think he was in his late 80s. I had all of the fluids replaced recently and tuned the fuel injection. The goal is to have this as a street car to go out on joy rides.Ā Ā 

• Like 1

Hey sorry for the no reply. A lot has happened to our other cars that I had to take care of so the trans am got placed at the end of the list.Ā 

• Like 1