Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Ignition cylinder removal help

I need to replace the ignition switch in my '68 GTO but I can't for the life of me get the cylinder out.  I thought I remembered to put the key in and turn to acc position then put a pin in the little hole to depress a button, then turn further to the left and pull it out.  I feel the button and I'm depressing it but the cylinder won't turn either way.  I've tried depressing and wiggling and pushing and turning until my fingers hurt.

My factory manual just says put the key in and depress the button with a pin then turn CCW 20 degrees.  It doesn't mention turning it to acc first but I don't feel the button unless I go to acc.

Anybody got any ideas?

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Oldphart said:

I need to replace the ignition switch in my '68 GTO but I can't for the life of me get the cylinder out.  I thought I remembered to put the key in and turn to acc position then put a pin in the little hole to depress a button, then turn further to the left and pull it out.  I feel the button and I'm depressing it but the cylinder won't turn either way.  I've tried depressing and wiggling and pushing and turning until my fingers hurt.

My factory manual just says put the key in and depress the button with a pin then turn CCW 20 degrees.  It doesn't mention turning it to acc first but I don't feel the button unless I go to acc.

Anybody got any ideas?

In the dash or steering column.  Frosty just had a heck of a time with is steering column cylinder.  I remember turning to a position (seems like in between off N acc or off N run) and insertin the pin in the hole and continue turning to remove back in the day.  Then I remember wondering if that was one of my Ford trucks. Maybe they are the same.

Check this.............https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ignition+switch+cylinder+replacement+68+GTO&docid=608025102929378482&mid=474F43FA4773FFEAC923474F43FA4773FFEAC923&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

34 minutes ago, JUSTA6 said:

In the dash or steering column.  Frosty just had a heck of a time with is steering column cylinder.  I remember turning to a position (seems like in between off N acc or off N run) and insertin the pin in the hole and continue turning to remove back in the day.  Then I remember wondering if that was one of my Ford trucks. Maybe they are the same.

Check this.............https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ignition+switch+cylinder+replacement+68+GTO&docid=608025102929378482&mid=474F43FA4773FFEAC923474F43FA4773FFEAC923&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

My switch is on the dash like the Olds in the video and I'm doing what the guy in the video is doing only mine won't turn for some reason.  

Thanks for posting the video, at least I know I'm doing the right thing but I'm at a loss as to what to do differently to get it out.

• Sad 1

I ended up having to completely disassemble the column to the collar that holds the cylinder lock. I ended up having to take a small punch and tapping it out because the "spring" did compress but the cylinder wouldn't come out with a normal pull. I am hoping my case is the abnormal example and not the norm.

Edited by Frosty
  • Sad 1