Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

1931 pontiac steering Upgrade???

Ok we are at the point that we have to figure out the steering before we go any further on the 31 build. But what should we do?

For those that don't know, my dad gave me a used 350 crate engine and turbo 350 transmission and said find a car to put it in. So I found a 1931 Pontiac 4 door custom sedan at my wife request. It's in great shape but the interior is all but gone except the front seat. So we are not doing a factory original restoration but more a resto mod. We want this driving good for road trips but will keep the body as stock as possible. We are even keeping the front i-beam axle and adding disc brakes all around. We have new leaf springs a chevy limited slip 10 bolt rear end the 350 and transmission somewhat installed... Not finalizing until we figure out the steering.

Power steering can be difficult on this model. So these are the options we are considering. 

Options:

A. Stock steering box clean it up reuse it and add electric power steering under the dash.

B. Newer steering box like a corvair unit?

C. Electric rack n pinion unit from something like a chevy Cruze or Malibu?

D. Other???

Thanks,

Dan

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hay Dan my first though was to show us some pictures of what your dealing with, second thought was lose the beam axle and buy a whole front end that will work size wise, then you get, good geometry, good brakes, good steering and no stress finding parts .

and a car that will be enjoyable to drive, you stick a 350 into a 1931 ponti its going to be awful to steer with  a stock front end :cheers:

• Like 1

In addition to Corvair steering boxes, a lot of hot rodders like to use Vega steering boxes. They had both power steering and non-power steering. My '71 Vega didn't have power steering.

So thanks but we are sticking with this i-beam. This is not a ford so IFS does not work, the fenders are so different that you have to cut a giant hole in them to make ifs work. And there is no way we are cutting up these tins. We've seen it done, not good looking at all. We have spoken to two others that have manual steering with a 350 in a 31 chevy that was almost identical and they said it's not so bad. But for my wife power steering would be better. So that's why we are looking at the power assist at the column if we have to. Yes I've heard vega steering box as well. Just a matter of if we can get a power steering pump installed and still close the hood. And I've heard something about having to flip gearboxes around to make it work as well.

Here are two pictures with the 350 installed with cross member. The attached headers will not be used as they do not drop in the right locations. We plan to go old school and use rams horn manifolds. As we had a set laying around. Plus they will give us more clearance for the steering.

IMG_20190407_165937050.jpg

Edited by cowboydanny
Mistype
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cowboydanny said:

So thanks but we are sticking with this i-beam. This is not a ford so IFS does not work, the fenders are so different that you have to cut a giant hole in them to make ifs work. And there is no way we are cutting up these tins.

AH yes very good point !! i wouldn't cut the fenders either!