Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a problem

I have a problem.  Well, actually I have three that I am trying to deal with right now.My beautiful black baby seems to be missing a few things.  (this is according to my mechanic)  I need an emergency brake bracket lever  (my emergency, or parking brake, indicator light does not turn off.   EVER),   I have a turbo 400 transmission.  I also need a Bushing Kit for the shifter.  It is hard to just see what gear I am in.  and I need a shifter kit with a neutral safety /reverse light switch .  This is all according to my mechanic.  There are other things , but I have promised myself to do three things at a time and get them well done.   Anyone have any thoughts???   Maybe I should say I have a 1968 convertible Firebird 400 with an automatic transmission Th400  By the way if they were easy to find my guy would find them.  Thanks for your thoughts

Conv400

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

20 hours ago, CDbird400 said:

I have a problem.  Well, actually I have three that I am trying to deal with right now.My beautiful black baby seems to be missing a few things.  (this is according to my mechanic)  I need an emergency brake bracket lever  (my emergency, or parking brake, indicator light does not turn off.   EVER),   I have a turbo 400 transmission.  I also need a Bushing Kit for the shifter.  It is hard to just see what gear I am in.  and I need a shifter kit with a neutral safety /reverse light switch .  This is all according to my mechanic.  There are other things , but I have promised myself to do three things at a time and get them well done.   Anyone have any thoughts???   Maybe I should say I have a 1968 convertible Firebird 400 with an automatic transmission Th400  By the way if they were easy to find my guy would find them.  Thanks for your thoughts

Conv400

The parking brake issue makes no sense! The light is a plunger switch! When the arm is push down it Active’s the brake light! So irregardless of the bracket if you release the brake the light should go off. If it doesn’t than temporarily remove the ground from the switch! The bracket should be an easy part to get! It is the same setup that was used on 67-75, Camaro’s, Firebirds, Novas, and Ventura’s and even longer in some cases than 75! 
As far as the shifter, which kind is it? Can you show us a picture?

• Like 2

Neutral safety switches are located either on the steering column or on the shifter. Can you show us a picture of the style of shifter that you have. Is it stock or has it been replaced with something from the aftermarket?

This is the stock style neutral safety switch/back up switch that mounts inside the shifter itself and should have wiring going to it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch-neutral-safety-back-up-light-repro/183879?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dneutral%2Bsafety%2Bbackup%2Blight%2Bswitch%26top_parent%3D9%26year%3D1968&year=1968

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Neutral safety switches are located either on the steering column or on the shifter. Can you show us a picture of the style of shifter that you have. Is it stock or has it been replaced with something from the aftermarket?

This is the stock style neutral safety switch/back up switch that mounts inside the shifter itself and should have wiring going to it.

https://www.npdlink.com/product/switch-neutral-safety-back-up-light-repro/183879?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dneutral%2Bsafety%2Bbackup%2Blight%2Bswitch%26top_parent%3D9%26year%3D1968&year=1968

Thanks Frosty! That’s why I asked for a picture for me! I don’t know what type of shifter was used with that bird. The Camaro ran that neutral safety switch on the bottom of the steering column and a separate switch on the shifter for the backup lights! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Thanks Frosty! That’s why I asked for a picture for me! I don’t know what type of shifter was used with that bird. The Camaro ran that neutral safety switch on the bottom of the steering column and a separate switch on the shifter for the backup lights! 

Lucy has the neutral safety switch on the steering column as well, even though it is a console floor shift automatic. However, the Hurst Dual Gate shifter I put in Lucy has it's own neutral safety switch on it as well.  I don't use the shifter's switch since the steering column one works fine, but that's how I know some cars have them on the shifter and some on the column.

• Like 2

Sorry to take so long to answer    My car is console floor shift with a T handle  Automatic.  Thanks for the answers you guys are great

• Like 1