Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

not started in 30 years

i just bought a 1968 bonneville that has been sitting  for 30 years has the original 428 th400 motor is not locked up i turned the crank with a socket and wrench before i handed over 500$ put a battery in all the lights and  things work the engine wont turn over or try to crank turn the key nothing happens do i run wires from battery straight to the starter??what could be the problem.??thank you for any wisdom that helps😟

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You should be able to just to test the starter. I would  use some kind of a bump switch if it was me just for your safety and the safety of the engine. I've also got a 68' 428 its in my grand prix. Post some pics when you can and keep us posted.

First thing is to make sure that all the battery connections are clean and tight and has a good ground....If all that checks OK then check the connections at the starter solenoid...Look for bad or corroded connections broken wires ETC.. Use a 12 volt test light to verify that you actually have power to the solenoid....should have 12 volts on the main battery terminal on the solenoid all the time....if you have power there then take the test light and ground it to the engine block... Place the other end on the solenoid terminal with the small wires (the S terminal)...have someone turn the key to start the engine if it lights up that means that the switch is functioning correctly....If it does not light up that means the the problem could be the ignition switch itself...Next thing is to put the test light across both the small poles (on the solenoid) have someone try to start the engine again... the light should come on...If it doesn't that indicates a bad solenoid....if all that checks OK.....Then the issue is probably the starter motor....Since it has been sitting for years...the brushes might be sticking..If that is the case sometimes you can take a hammer and lightly tap on the starter to see if they free up...(Will probably be full of corrosion) then try to start again....(Try it a few times) If that doesn't work you will have to remove the starter and either replace it or disassemble it and repair It....(is a repairable/rebuildable unit).......

If you do get the engine to roll over....Would highly suggest that you take the fuel line from the tank to the inlet on the fuel pump loose and run a short hose from a seperate clean container with fresh gas to the inlet of the fuel pump so when it does start you don't suck 30 years worth of crap from the gas tank into the carburetor.......

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP

11 hours ago, TWO LANE BLACK TOP said:

First thing is to make sure that all the battery connections are clean and tight and has a good ground....If all that checks OK then check the connections at the starter solenoid...Look for bad or corroded connections broken wires ETC.. Use a 12 volt test light to verify that you actually have power to the solenoid....should have 12 volts on the main battery terminal on the solenoid all the time....if you have power there then take the test light and ground it to the engine block... Place the other end on the solenoid terminal with the small wires (the S terminal)...have someone turn the key to start the engine if it lights up that means that the switch is functioning correctly....If it does not light up that means the the problem could be the ignition switch itself...Next thing is to put the test light across both the small poles (on the solenoid) have someone try to start the engine again... the light should come on...If it doesn't that indicates a bad solenoid....if all that checks OK.....Then the issue is probably the starter motor....Since it has been sitting for years...the brushes might be sticking..If that is the case sometimes you can take a hammer and lightly tap on the starter to see if they free up...(Will probably be full of corrosion) then try to start again....(Try it a few times) If that doesn't work you will have to remove the starter and either replace it or disassemble it and repair It....(is a repairable/rebuildable unit).......

If you do get the engine to roll over....Would highly suggest that you take the fuel line from the tank to the inlet on the fuel pump loose and run a short hose from a seperate clean container with fresh gas to the inlet of the fuel pump so when it does start you don't suck 30 years worth of crap from the gas tank into the carburetor.......

IMG_20190303_112729.jpg

That's a start bro. Thanks for the pic to 😁, we love pics around here. Old or new, even just old parts. We don't care, we just like Pontiac pics lol!

Great goal bro. Cant wait to hear what kinda numbers she runs. What kind of upgrades are you think about to hit 12s. I'm gonna run mine down the track also just to see what she'll do and I've got a trip to the dyno planed as soon as I get the new tires and rims. I don't trust mine to go around the block lol. 

original owner started rebuild never finished the empty boxes were in the trunk erson cam 308 480/480 holley quadrajet ram air exauhst manifolds 390 hp stock thats what pontiac says 100 more should get her in the 12s . today a chevy guy told me rust is ugly saving a 68 pontiac from the crusher is a beautiful thing

Edited by KACEYPERRINE

Sounds good bud. Let us know how it goes and I totally agree with that Chevy guy. I hate seeing any classic doesn't matter the make going to the crusher. Once their gone their just gone.

Edited by Wrongway