Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS More than half of America willing to pay higher fuel taxes for better roads [w/poll]

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Government/Legal, Earnings/Financials

2a02393fef614dd59a0d0d94ed91665c.jpeg

The gas tax and diesel taxes haven't been increased since 1993.

A new study by AAA has revealed a rather interesting factoid - apparently, there's a large number of Americans that wouldn't mind shelling out a bit more coin for a bit better roads. Yeah, we're pretty surprised too.

According to the transportation group, over two-thirds of Americans think Uncle Sam should beef up his funding for transportation projects, while just over half of the 2,013 randomly surveyed people around the country would support a bump in the gas tax. Perhaps more telling for our elected officials is this: 51 percent of the people surveyed would be more open to voting for a candidate that supported an increase in road funding. Only 19 percent of people would be less likely to vote for a candidate that campaigns on the basis of improving American roads.

"Many of us are willing to pay a little more if it means we will have access to better roads, bridges and transit systems," said AAA's president and CEO, Bob Darbelnet. "It is time for our nation's leaders to stand with those in Congress who support improving our country's transportation system."

Why the urgency on AAA's part? Well, aside from the post-apocalyptic state of American roads, the Highway Trust Fund is set to run dry by August. The Highway Trust relies on the 18.3-cent-per-gallon gas tax and the 24.4-cent-per-gallon diesel tax, neither of which have been increased since 1993, when cars were significantly less efficient.

"Americans are fed up with record-long commutes, unsafe highways and never-ending potholes," - Bob Darbelnet

According to AAA, if the fund were to run dry, road work across the country would be delayed, which would be a particularly troubling notion if next winter is as bad as the previous one. As for how it justifies a hike in the gas tax, AAA claims better roads would will help reduce the $324 average that consumers pay in road-related vehicle repairs.

"Americans are fed up with record-long commutes, unsafe highways and never-ending potholes caused by political inaction," said Darbelnet. "Congress must prevent severe maintenance delays during the height of the summer driving season by preventing a Highway Trust Fund bankruptcy in August."

Take a look below for the press release from AAA, which includes a breakdown of the survey's methodology, as well as a listing and response rate for each of the survey's five questions, but not before you take part in our own unofficial poll on the gas tax.

View Poll

Continue reading More than half of America willing to pay higher fuel taxes for better roads [w/poll]

More than half of America willing to pay higher fuel taxes for better roads [w/poll] originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 10 Jun 2014 19:58:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.

Permalink | Email this | Comments
autoblog?i=I833oGJlM9g:5oDBReNn1iY:wF9xT autoblog?i=I833oGJlM9g:5oDBReNn1iY:V_sGL
I833oGJlM9g

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/I833oGJlM9g/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!