Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

RSS Report: Bay area residents could soon be taxed per mile driven

Ringo64

• Founders

Filed under: Government/Legalgyi0058804631-opt.jpg

As cars get more fuel efficient, they become a less profitable source of tax dollars. So what's a city to do? Raising gas taxes is certain political death. For San Francisco Bay officials, creativity is the key.

The Metropolitan Transportation Commission and Association of Bay Area Governments are currently examining a plan to tax drivers by the number of miles driven instead of number of gallons burned. To do that, cars registered in the area would be fitted with a GPS device to track the number of miles traveled.

Drivers could be charged less than a penny or as much as a dime per mile. One estimate puts potential revenue from the system at $15 million a day.

If the thought of your city government knowing your every move sounds frightening, the Commission's spokesman, Randy Rentschler, says not to worry.

"The last thing we're interested in is where you go and what you do," Rentschler tells the Associated Press. "What we're trying to do is get people to figure out a way to raise revenue that they could support." Still not convinced?Don't get worked up yet - it could take Bay Area governments as long as a decade to implement such an idea. By then we'll surely have flying cars, electric scooters or even molecular transporters.

Bay area residents could soon be taxed per mile driven originally appeared on Autoblog on Tue, 24 Jul 2012 09:14:00 EST. Please see our terms for use of feeds.<h6 style="clear: both; padding: 8px 0 0 0; height: 2px; font-size: 1px; border: 0; margin: 0; padding: 0;"></h6>Permalink | Email this | Comments

di</img>

di</img>

autoblog?i=-zmhJWqPG-s:Jqd6A5i4Ve0:wF9xT3WuBAs</img> autoblog?i=-zmhJWqPG-s:Jqd6A5i4Ve0:V_sGLiPBpWU</img>-zmhJWqPG-s

/>http://feeds.autoblog.com/~r/weblogsinc/autoblog/~3/-zmhJWqPG-s/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Because people were ever so inviting to put OnStar on their cars when it's a tool that actually can help them (literally a thread a day on it on Camaro5), I'm sure they're going to be ever so joyous when the government wants to put a GPS tracker on them that will cost them money.

I really hope this doesn't go country wide, really stupid IMO.