Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

I have a 1966 Catalina - Ventura and have run into some issues trying to replace factory wheel cylinders and brake booster / master cylinder. I have managed to aquire the parts I need to get everything back up and running but I have been informed that some of these parts are obsolete. I am wondering if anyone out there knows the "recipe" for converting from from drum brakes to disk? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Check out Inline Tube - wwww.inlinetube.com - for you hard lines.

Original Parts Group (www.opgi.com) has a big Pontiac car line. So does Performance Years (www.performanceyears.com). Ames Performance also has a big car line (www.amesperf.com). So you should be able to get hard lines and master cylinders from these folks.

If you are talking about drum to disk conversion, then Stainless Steel Brake Corp, Wildwood, Bear Brakes, all should have kits. If you have an 8-lug drums then there is a new kit out for that, I just don't remember who is marketing that one off the top of my head.

:lol: with what Frosty said.

On another note, we would love to see this Ventura! Please make an intro thread and show pics ;) and :rolleyes: too

Thanks for the responses so far. I have checked at all the recomended sites and they have lots of A body stuff but nothing for the Ventura. I have emailed a few of them and will let all know of the response. I am doing a major engine engine build for the car and will post pics etc when I get the chance. I do have the car on car domain if its allowed I will post the link??

Double check....while there is a ton of A-body stuff, there are a fair amount of B-body stuff too. Inline has 61-79 Grand Prix and Catalina parts. So does OPGI, Performance Years, and Ames.

If memory serves, the Ventura was originally an upscale or optioned-up Catalina (like the original GTO was an upscale Tempest/Lemans). So brake parts from a Catalina should be okay. Maybe I am missing something....but I thought both the Ventura and Catalina were the same chassis/body - just different trim. I know they were both 122" wheelbase cars, until the Ventura moved the Nova X-Body platform in '71-72.

Double check....while there is a ton of A-body stuff, there are a fair amount of B-body stuff too. Inline has 61-79 Grand Prix and Catalina parts. So does OPGI, Performance Years, and Ames.

If memory serves, the Ventura was originally an upscale or optioned-up Catalina (like the original GTO was an upscale Tempest/Lemans). So brake parts from a Catalina should be okay. Maybe I am missing something....but I thought both the Ventura and Catalina were the same chassis/body - just different trim. I know they were both 122" wheelbase cars, until the Ventura moved the Nova X-Body platform in '71-72.

Your memory is correct. The weird thing about this car is that it has "other" components in/on it. For example factory correct brake booster and master cylinder are not what is actually in the car.... I managed to get new ones that are correct for replacing what I had so no big deal. Brake parts for the catalina should generally be ok, like wheel cylinders and pads etc. I will keep looking when I have some more time. Thanks !! :rolleyes:

I am wondering if anyone out there knows the "recipe" for converting from from drum brakes to disk? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Depends on how you are going to do it. If you are looking for stock/OEM looking/performing brakes or modern disc brakes. As I said, there are kits out there for these cars. Granted they are not cheap either.

Assuming your car is a stock 4-wheel drum / single reservior system, and you are converting to front disc brakes only, then you need (in addition to new hard lines):

1. New brake master cylinder with dual reservior

2. Brake Booster

3. Proportioning valve - since disc brakes require more hydralic pressure than drums to operate.

4. Front spindles - mounting brackets between drums and disc are different and are not interchangeable. Also means tearing your entire front end apart for this conversion. So you might take the time to re-do the entire front end if you have the cash (springs, bushings, sway bar end links, bearings, etc.).

5. Disc rooter/bearings & single/dual piston brake calipers, mounting brackets and pads

6. Flexible brakes hoses (w/ banjo fittings) - hard line to front calipers

7. New brake fluid

I would get a shop manual for your car. I beleive disc brakes were an option in later years of this body style. So a '68 or '69 disc brake might retro fit your car.

• 1 year later...

1966Ventura - have you had any luck with this project?

I ask since I am helping a buddy of mine restore and modify his '68 Chevy Impala Custom. He is installing a Classic Performance Products (CPP) front disc conversion on it. While I don't know (off the top of my head) how interchangeable the spindles between a '66 Ventura and a '68 Impala, they are both B-bodys. We have had to make some minor tweaks to the spindle and caliber mounting brackets too, so it was not quote a complete bolt on as expected. However, it appears to be well engineered package. We are re-using the stock suspension except for the drum brake assembly and backing plate.

You can follow this project on my Automotive Archelogy thread under the Picture to Picture area.
/>http://foreverpontiac.com/topic/3961-automotive-archeology/