Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Super Chief Brake Drums

Hello all!!

My stepson has a 1957 Super Chief and I'm looking for replacement brake drums, but am finding no luck anywhere!  Does anyone know where to find them at?  I think I understand the basic differences between the Star Chief and the Super Chief is that the Star Chief is a two door and the Super Chief is a four door, are the brake drums the same???  I can find those, but like I said, zero luck on the Super Chief drums.

Thank you all in advance!

Dave

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Have you tried comparing brake drums from a '57 Safari? Both are essentially station wagons, 2-door vs. 4-door.

Don't forget that the Safari and quite possibly the Super Chief shared some major components with the Nomad/210/Handyman Wagon from Chevy. So there may be a chance that the drums you are looking for might also be in the Chevy parts bin. However, do your homework and compare them.

Edited by Frosty

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

Have you tried comparing brake drums from a '57 Safari? Both are essentially station wagons, 2-door vs. 4-door.

Don't forget that the Safari and quite possibly the Super Chief shared some major components with the Nomad/210/Handyman Wagon from Chevy. So there may be a chance that the drums you are looking for might also be in the Chevy parts bin. However, do your homework and compare them.

Thank you for the tip!  I found a company that will do a four wheel disk brake conversion with a late 60's-70's style booster/master cylinder.  It comes at a price though, nearly $1800.  But for the added stopping power and the "modernized" system I think the price is worth it.  I would like to add power steering to the car as well, so I'm going to look into what steering boxes/pumps/pulleys/belts may work.  

Honestly, I agree with you. I think the 4-wheel disc conversion is safer, more reliable solution and easier to get parts for.

Again, don't be afraid to look at the Chevy side of things because of the Nomad/Safari connection. You might be able to get a compatible Chevy steering box or late(r) model Pontiac big car steering box with power lines. Then I would get a pump, betls, and brackets that fits your engine and get custom lines made. You might want to replace the rag joint while you are at it.

2 hours ago, Frosty said:

Honestly, I agree with you. I think the 4-wheel disc conversion is safer, more reliable solution and easier to get parts for.

Again, don't be afraid to look at the Chevy side of things because of the Nomad/Safari connection. You might be able to get a compatible Chevy steering box or late(r) model Pontiac big car steering box with power lines. Then I would get a pump, betls, and brackets that fits your engine and get custom lines made. You might want to replace the rag joint while you are at it.

Thank you all for your help, I hope that once I get to know this car a bit more I'll be able to contribute more for others! I'm pretty confident I'll be able to piece a power steering system together, I was being hopeful that maybe, just maybe another GM system may work on it.  I've got a local place that can do the hoses so that part will be easy.