Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

tachometer movement

hi all, new on this forum and recent owner of a 65 GTO !

my tach is dead and I read in a very interesting article from "hot rod" site, that Jim McGowan repair his tach with a new movement, very convenient solution for me, since I don't have to worry about diameter! he says that it's very easy to find on online stores this product, but to be honnest, after several hours of research, I've not found nothing;

so can anyone tell me where I can buy this bit??

thanks for your help

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I checked Jim McGowan's article and sadly he does not mention his vendor source, so we have to assume it is probably one of the larger catalog vendor. So I would suggest trying:

National Parts Depot

Year One

Original Parts Group Inc (OPGI)

Ames Performance / Performance Years

The Parts Place

Summit Racing / JEGS

Edited by Frosty

Hi Frosty,

nop, really not in their catalog, I suppose they don't sell it anymore;

even on ebay, I can't find anything, however, the keyword "tachometer movement" should be clear enough!

if by chance you hear anything about this item, just shout!

Okay, let's back up a couple of steps.

First it sounds like your stock OEM tach  for your '65 GTO is dead and doesn't work at all. If that is the case, there are plenty of guys out there that restore and repair non-working gauges. I sent my clock to YearOne many years ago and had it rebuilt with quartz movement. So you could call them to see what they charge. I am sure there are other guys closer to you that do this service too. Or you could simply buy a stock replacement tach from whomever the cheapest.

Second, you want the tach to work with an HEI distributor. Which one? Stock GM, MSD, Mallory, Pertronix? Let's assume it is a stock style GM OEM. The HEI and other electronic distributors create a different signal or pulse than do original points style distributors. For this reason, your OEM tach that was circuited to read the points style does not recognize and cannot read the signal it’s receiving from the newer style distributor.

The fix for this situation is to purchase a tach filter or interface device. They are available through several aftermarket manufacturers. They can be found on most GM cars in junkyards that have factory tachs in them. The factory style filter looks like a condenser with a wire and connector on each end, one of which plugs onto the HEI distributor, and the other onto the tach lead wire. Hooking this filter device in series between your distributor and tach should allow your factory tach to work in harmony with your new electronic distributor.

Bottom line, you could re-build or buy a stock replacement tach and then get the tach filter to make it work. You don't need to buy a specially configured tach unless you want to.

Edited by Frosty

I will avoid to make it repair in the US; the shipping costs way out and return will be more expansive than a brand new tach!

so either I find a local store able to repair my tach, or I buy a new one; (by the way, I have a MSD booster in case of need)

my HEI is a Pertronix Flame Thrower; my real problem is that I wrote to both Pertronix and Ames and Pertronix says I should check with tach manufacturer and Ames says I should check with HEI manufacturer for compatibility! ping pong match: 1/1

I think I'm gonna search for a local repair!!

Hmm....a Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor is essentially a stock GM OEM style without the points. Most people have little problem driving the stock tach off of it.

My recommendation is just get the tach repaired and then try hooking it up. By most accounts it should not need a tach filter. If it doesn't work, then we can address the tach filter issue

Edited by Frosty

as electronic engineer, I have a smal low frequency generator and I will have a look by myself prior to send it anywhere; after all, maybe I can fix it!

I have looked around in tach repair shop and they charge around 150$ to fix it! does it worth it??

cheaper to buy a new one and swap over the dials (like Ed does in "wheeler dealer") in order to keep the aging ;

but first of all I have to take it of from dash board and I think I will do it next week;

thanks anyway for help;

I think it might be cheaper to repair it than replace in your case. OPGI charges $206.99 plus shipping and handling for OEM replacement tach for a '65 GTO. So if you can get it repaired for $150, you will be money ahead. However, if you can find one a slightly used one somewhere on your side of the pond, then it's worth replacing.

https://www.opgi.com/gto/BL00265/

Edited by Frosty

• 1 year later...