Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

So my 1983 pontiac t1000  has had brake issues since when I got it  but I have been working on them for ever I got my back brakes working only the front did at one point when i got the car they didn't work at all. I replaced  the front calipers  and pads and master cylinder  (has no booster) and the front rubber hoses. The brakes are still sticking really  bad I can depress the caliper  when I open the bleeder but when I close it and press the peddle  it builds up pressure within 4 to 6 pumps then gets hard but still press able I go to either front hub and there dragging really bad same amount  each side what the hell could it be I have bled and bled some more but still nothing

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You didn't bench bleed the master. Air in the system means that when you let off the pedal the air bubble is still pushing out. You can bleed at the wheels all you like .. if the air is trapped further up, it's not going anywhere.

I bled the master cylinder  a few times with the little kit that came with the master cylinder

I mainly did the front on the master cylinder  when the problem arose I'll do the back aswell even though I'm having no issue with the back

Well, you did install new parts ... one of them could be defective ...  but the likelihood is slim. When you bled the MC ... did you do it on the car, or on a level bench? From there the fluid runs down to the partitioning valve, then back to the calipers. Only so many places for air to hide.

Wait ... when you replaced the MC ... you did bleed ALL 4 brakes, starting with the passenger side rear? Did you make sure the partitioning valve didn't lock you out? If the part valve has kicked, you need to push it back. then use a lock as shown in this video.

I bled the Mc on the car and my preparationing valve was blocking the rear I reset and had to make my own little tool to hold the pin. And I did bleed from passenger rear to driver rear and same as front 

Bled the MC on the car ... there's your problem.  It has to be sitting level to bleed right. Hence doing it on a bench. You can do it on the car, but you'll need to jack up the rear end high enough to level the MC.

We wouldn't mind seeing a pic of the tool you made.

The front lines aren't all that long, and they're pretty easy to bleed. Not a lot of place for a bubble to hide. And what you're describing would require a pretty sizable bubble. Um, dumb question, but I have to ask ... you did put the new calipers on the right sides, didn't you? Bleed valves up?

Be careful when bleeding ... some rebuilds aren't all that well done and it's happened that rebuilt MCs don't get rebored properly. When you push the brake pedal all the way to the floor, it can sometimes find a lip inside from where the piston travel used to end. That can cause a nick on the seal and ruin the MC.

How can I tell if it's nicked and yes the valves are up I kind figured out that they had specific side when the first one didn't quite fit. And I'll be home tomorrow  (I'm on the road for work picking up and delivering  axles for mobile  homes) so I'll try everything 

• 7 months later...

I know exactly where you're coming from with the brake issues. A few weeks ago I tried to stop in time for a red light and nearly sent my son through the windshield they were sticking so bad. The next day I was going 70 in a 35 trying to make it to Pizzeria Uno before they closed, and almost drove through the front of the restaurant cuz I couldn't get stopped!! Damn things are unbelievable!