Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

POTM Banter

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo unfinished cars are in? Thanks Justa.Guess we'll see what happens lol.Actually i enjoy the patina....OLD ASS PAINT! LOL go ahead and lean on her,put your beer on the hood.. more character marks LOL

Justa watched an ABC report on the auto industry's rolling computers. When ONSTAR was 1st put out there, I said this was the dumbest thing ever. While it may have some +'s. The -'s trump it big time. ABC had a hacker that can take over ANY computer car. Shutting it off and proved he could work ANY electrical system from the wipers to the gauges. NO firewalls or anything to stop him. Even worse, he can INFECT with a virus that would kill the car, costing 1000.00's to replace electrical systems/computers. Scared yet?? If your ride is equiped with park assist. He has full control of steering as well. GM and their well publised problems with ignition switch shutting of (usually with a heavy wad of keys) is a drop in the bucket compared to what can happen. And probably will now that the media is throwin it out there for all the headcases to think about. Even my wife sat there with her mouth open N admitted everything I've ranted about is comming true.

• Founders

Justa watched an ABC report on the auto industry's rolling computers. When ONSTAR was 1st put out there, I said this was the dumbest thing ever. While it may have some +'s. The -'s trump it big time. ABC had a hacker that can take over ANY computer car. Shutting it off and proved he could work ANY electrical system from the wipers to the gauges. NO firewalls or anything to stop him. Even worse, he can INFECT with a virus that would kill the car, costing 1000.00's to replace electrical systems/computers. Scared yet?? If your ride is equiped with park assist. He has full control of steering as well. GM and their well publised problems with ignition switch shutting of (usually with a heavy wad of keys) is a drop in the bucket compared to what can happen. And probably will now that the media is throwin it out there for all the headcases to think about. Even my wife sat there with her mouth open N admitted everything I've ranted about is comming true.

I would have to see that first hand to fully believe he has FULL control. No doubt after nearly 20 years in IT do believe that it is possible to hack into a system such as Onstar but to have actual full and outright control plus avoid vehicle safety precautions is another thing. The actual chance of it happening to you is another th ing.

With, dare I say it, driverless cars coming soon this is a huge issue and one I think is not lightly protected.

Believe it Ringo.A friend of mine is a GM IT project manager. He is working on a cyber security project for OnStar and the ECM/BCM/TCM vehicle systems. He said that GM had engineering students at the University of Washington prove that cyber hacking of a vehicle was possible (that over 2 years ago that this proof of concept hacking was sufficiently demonstrated to GM engineers that the threat was real). His project is in essence to work to lock down vehicle systems from just such threats.

Honestly, if I have to take a new vehicle to the dealership in order to "patch" my car, I will be seriously ticked. While I understand the interaction of modern smart systems to infotainment systems, it will get to be the point that my PC, cell phone and automobile are merely expensive cyber devices that I have to constantly take precautions, patch, firewall, etc. because someone can hack into it. Sometimes I am accused of not accepting new technology, but hey, the old technology didn't have these types of consequences either. Granted that they might not have had the degree of flexibility either.

BTW are we still looking for nominations??????

• Founders

Believe it Ringo.A friend of mine is a GM IT project manager. He is working on a cyber security project for OnStar and the ECM/BCM/TCM vehicle systems. He said that GM had engineering students at the University of Washington prove that cyber hacking of a vehicle was possible (that over 2 years ago that this proof of concept hacking was sufficiently demonstrated to GM engineers that the threat was real). His project is in essence to work to lock down vehicle systems from just such threats.

Honestly, if I have to take a new vehicle to the dealership in order to "patch" my car, I will be seriously ticked. While I understand the interaction of modern smart systems to infotainment systems, it will get to be the point that my PC, cell phone and automobile are merely expensive cyber devices that I have to constantly take precautions, patch, firewall, etc. because someone can hack into it. Sometimes I am accused of not accepting new technology, but hey, the old technology didn't have these types of consequences either. Granted that they might not have had the degree of flexibility either.

BTW are we still looking for nominations??????

Never said it wasn't possible to "hack" it but hacking it and controlling it are two different thing ;)

And yes, more nominations now!

Here is a rare car - Eddie's Cipollari's 1973 Grand Am. The first Grand Am !!!!!

image_url-1995-1395013755_thumb.jpg

JaxGXP's 1980 Sunbird Convertible. The turbocharged versions are very rare screamers.

image_url-1333-1371780170_thumb.jpg

Lobo Domesticado's 1974 Ventura GTO. Best power-to-weight GTO that Pontiac produced (until the 2004-06 came out) even though it had a 350, according to the late John Sawruk..

image_url-2010-1391159676_thumb.jpg