Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

POTM Nominations, May 2016

All members with 10 or more posts may nominate their own Pontiac and/or another Forever Pontiac member. Anyone can nominate another member!

Please post the important and required details of the one you are nominating, like: Photo, Screen Name, Year, Make. Model. Modifications or Progression Link - link would greatly help but is not required.
Please submit only ONE photo in your post.
You may NOT submit your car, only someone else's. One submission per person.
***For a LIMITED TIME OFFER, you may submit your car! If you meet the 10 post minimum and other requirements.

If there are more than 10 submissions then the Nominations will close and only the first 10 submissions will be in the Vote. If a tie occurs, then there will be a 2 day tie breaker vote. In the event that it is still a tie after the tie breaker, the car nominated first will be declared the winner.

There is also no need to submit the same car more than once!
Off topic comments will be deleted. This is a nomination only.
Any member that has won within the last 6 months is ineligible for nomination, unless the member has another vehicle that meets the requirements may be nominated again.
It is assumed that you, the member, has ownership of the vehicle before, during and after the nomination and voting.

Nominations ONLY! This thread will be monitored.
Banter will be encouraged in the POTM Banter thread, and not allowed here.
Winners get their photo at the top of the site.
Winners getting rid of their vehicle after they have won may be subjected to disqualification of their POTM Status.
Recommendations only please!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Ok, I reckon I'll throw mine into the ring for this month.

It's a 69 GTO that I've had the pleasure of owning since 1976.  (It didn't always look like this)  It was my daily driver while I was attending college, then first married.  My Dad and I bought this car together (I found it, he had the money) while I was still in school.  I started a frame-off restoration in about 1985, got a year or so into that, then life had other plans.  The car sat in pieces, in a rented storage unit - for the next 25 years after that.  Fast forward (slow forward?) to 2008 when my present wife (angel and true partner that she is) provided substantial encouragement for me to resume the project.  It moved under its own power in November, 2011 for the first time since 1985.  I did 100% of the work myself: engine, drive train, suspension, body, paint, interior - and every part of that except for the mechanical jobs were my "first time".

The car is all numbers matching, even the engine - which was originally your basic "garden variety" YS-coded 400, but I've warmed it up quite a bit by building it as a 461 stroker with solid roller cam, ported Edelbrock RPM heads, and an assortment of other goodies.  Oh, and even though I still have all the original parts and could re-build it 100% stock should I ever want to, it's also right now carrying a Moser 9-inch with 3.50 gears and a Wavetrac differential.  No way would the original 10-bolt with 3.23's have survived for long behind this engine.   My overall goal for the car was to build it as "stock appearing", but capable of inflicting much harm if provoked :)  I also wanted to be able to drive it anywhere, anytime, and be able to dance "just above" the NHRA-mandated roll-bar rule of 11.49.

The car has run a best to date E.T. of 11.86 @ 113 mph at Texas Motorplex, we drove it on the "Long Haul" Power Tour in 2013 (and will be catching the last half of the tour in 2016), and I drive it --- not every day, but pretty regularly.

Here's a link to my web site that has hundreds of mostly dull and boring photos of the build progression:

http://www.garrettfamily.us/gto

...and a link to a YouTube video that also tells the story, including a brief segment that shows that very first drive in 2011 (still on 30 year old tires).

If you're REALLY bored and need help sleeping, search YouTube using the term, "Bear's GTO" and you should find a few more.

Color1.jpg

Edited by BearGFR

• Ghost locked this topic