Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

an interesting argument ive heard over the years is which Firebird (rules being one you can order from the dealer and pick up at the dealer) is the fastest of all time. I think this would make for an interesting comparison once all the candidates have an article completed on them. That would leave about 2-3 more but I don't want every single article to be solely based on Firebirds so im thinking in a few months all the info should be up to have a comparison article.

• 10 months later...

As far as future classics all Pontiacs fit that model. IMHO the G6 & the G5's are fantastic cars that I hope will survive. I saw a G6 4 dr. in front of me about a 1/2 mile and a nissan next to it. I wasn't sure what either car was till I got close, but marveled at the shape of the Pontiac vs. rolling garbage can. I have 4 Pontiacs both new & old and miss the Pontiac spear in new car potentials.

• Founders

The G8 will definitely be a classic... I'm not too sure on the G6 because it's well, I dunno, for lack of a better word a rental car or grocery getter. Don't get me wrong I love the car to death but I just don't feel it will be a classic like a '69 Firebird is today or other Pontiacs mentioned in this forum.

• 1 month later...

The G5 was a complete waste of space in the lineup, at least with most of the rebadged/shared platform cars they at least attempted to make them different, there's literally 6-7 pieces on the entire car that are different from the cobalt and about half of them are logos

G8 will always be remembered as "the last pontiac" even though its roots are not of this continent.

The G8 will definitely be a classic... I'm not too sure on the G6 because it's well, I dunno, for lack of a better word a rental car or grocery getter. Don't get me wrong I love the car to death but I just don't feel it will be a classic like a '69 Firebird is today or other Pontiacs mentioned in this forum.

Well you have to think ahead a little. My Phoenix isn't an Iconic classic like the Trans Am or GTO, but it is still a classic. My dad told me that back in the 70's my car was basically a daily grocery getter haha. His first car was a 70-something Grand Prix and he said it was just his daily whatever car, but now you look back and it was badass.

I'm just saying that maybe far into the future someone might look back at that old G6 and go "What a sweet ride"

Well you have to think ahead a little. My Phoenix isn't an Iconic classic like the Trans Am or GTO, but it is still a classic. My dad told me that back in the 70's my car was basically a daily grocery getter haha. His first car was a 70-something Grand Prix and he said it was just his daily whatever car, but now you look back and it was badass.

I'm just saying that maybe far into the future someone might look back at that old G6 and go "What a sweet ride"

That's quite possible havoc. I don't doubt that some cars from this era will be considered iconic. My only concern is that most FWD cars (with few exceptions) probably are not perceived by the car enthusiast community as iconic, collectible or desirable. Right now, most RWD/V8 powered cars will probably be considered iconic. So based on my experience with people in the Pontiac hobby, I'll go out on a limb and wager that Pontiacs built since 1990 are either iconic or not iconic as follows:

GTO - iconic - last true muscle car from Pontiac - anything named GTO is desirable

G8 - iconic - last muscle car/sedan - GT and GXP most desirable

Solstice - iconic - last roadster/convertible - GXP uber collectible

Firebird - iconic - Trans Ams/Formulas/Firehawks/Comp TAs/all special editions - most desirable

G6 - not iconic - convertible - most desirable

G2/G3/G4/G5 - not iconic

Torrent - not iconic

Aztek - definitely not iconic but memorable for it's angry dumpster styling. Most people will keep the console cooler and not the car.

Montana/Trans Sport - not iconic

Vibe - not iconic - supercharged version most desirable

Bonneville - not iconic - SSEi (supercharged) or Northstar V8s most desirable

Grand Prix - not iconic - GXP, turbo, pace car, supercharged or Petty editions most desirable

Parisienne - not iconic - police interceptor version most desirable (if you can find one)

Grand Am - not iconic

Sunbird - not iconic - convertible and turbocharged versions most desirable

Tempest - not iconic - no one wants a Pontiac Corsica

Lemans - definitely not iconic - in fact it ruined the name Lemans with its defects and terrible quality

Now don't get me wrong, each of these cars have been driven by people who love them, although I don't know anyone who loved the "new" Lemans. I just don't see them reaching mythical status or writing songs about them (like "Lil GTO"). I am also not saying these are bad cars either. My point is that as collectibles, the RWD performance cars will always win out over a FWD car.

It makes some sense if you stop and think about it. When you think of "world class" cars. What do you think of? Ferrari, Lamborgini, Bugatti, Cadillac V-series, Corvette, McLaren, Rolls Royce, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche? Most, if not all, of these cars are all RWD. I think this is a world-wide bias, not a brand or model based bias either.

• Founders

Now don't get me wrong, each of these cars have been driven by people who love them. I just don't see them reaching mythical status or writing songs about them (like "Lil GTO"). I am also not saying these are bad cars either. My point is that as collectibles, the RWD performance cars will always win out over a FWD car.

What about Fly like a G6? :agreed: jk I hate that song and it's not about the car.

Anyway definitely right on Frosty, I wouldn't mind owning a 60's Lemans or Tempest but then again I would be happy with any American car from the 60's. Just love the body style

• 3 months later...

so this thread is about forgotten and future classics? well i have something, this is obviously not real but, what if it was? would it be an instant classic?

bonnevilleconcept.jpg

bonnevilleconcpet3.jpg

bonnevilleconcept4.jpg

bonnevilleconcept2.jpg

i found these at http://www.synergy-dance.com/TDS_Concept_Design.html

Do not Want!!

:EDIT: 22 second 1/4 really? with a 3.5 sec 0-60? wow my gtp will do the 1/4 in mid 14's

lol i saw that as well its kinda messed up right? but if you go by those stats, isnt that kind of impossible?

so this thread is about forgotten and future classics? well i have something, this is obviously not real but, what if it was? would it be an instant classic?

bonnevilleconcept.jpg

bonnevilleconcpet3.jpg

bonnevilleconcept4.jpg

bonnevilleconcept2.jpg

i found these at http://www.synergy-d...ept_Design.html

Interesting concept. Let's get past a couple of the literature irregularities. I agree that a 22 sec 1/4 mile can be had in a full loaded Suburban. A couple of things would be required to make this car iconic, IMO.

First is, it must be RWD. Pure and simple, I'd a say a FWD of that size and power is not likely given state of the art FWD technology for mass production. Yes we can make 7 passenger FWD vehicles all day. The Traverse and Enclave are proof of that. However, a LS-10 Supercharged would make the car wider from an engine bay perspective. Then look at how much torque the axles would have to be able to manage with much power.

Second, the interior needs to invoke a certain level of nostalgia and luxury too. So do we try to mimic something like the 2+2s, or go with something more modern with paddle shifters, traction controls, etc?

Third, if this is seven passenger seats, then were are the two extra going to sit based on the concept drawing? Are two people in back going to face backward, like a jump seat. A car this big might be better suited as a Maybach competitor.

• 5 years later...

I would think that the 1LE firebirds from late 80s to the late 90s qualify for future classics mainly due to the fact that they had all had to be special ordered. Most Pontiac dealers didn't even know that option even existed. Only the most savy buyers ordered what is essentially late model COPO car. Unlike new Camaro COPO where they limited it to 50 of them seriously doubt if any were actually  special order just a limited production run. Was basically just a sales pitch. True COPO means they didn't limit the number made if 5 were ordered they made 5 IF 5000 were ordered they would make 5000 of them. That being said what really makes them special the fact they were only available in Formula 1SA trim meaning no creature comforts like AC power windows and locks ETC only exception to that was 1996 and later had AC only because Pontiac made it standard across the board. They all have factory hardcore suspension and brake upgrades with there own specific GM part numbers. Also the gas tanks are different with the fuel pickup location and baffle in the tank so that during high G turns when the gas sloshed around it wouldn't uncover fuel pickup. All of them also had factory oil cooler. Although  have heard of  some that didn't. Mine has aluminum drive shaft from the factory,but have heard of some that didn't  also the later ones after 1996 have double adjustable konis with tool in glovebox to adjust shocks with. Engine power is way underrated too. Probably shouldn't be saying this have had mine up to 168 MPH flat out nothing left. Know that because captured top speed on my garmin. Without all the creature comforts makes them lighter than standard F body with full load of fuel all our vacation stuff and my wife in car tips the scales at just a little over 3100 lbs. It is definitely a Porsche Jag BMW Mustang WRX eater wolf in sheeps clothing! for sure. Reason I think qualifies for future classic is mainly because of low production numbers no more than 20 or less in most years of course rare means unpopular only time will tell.....Next time I have on lift will take some detailed photos of suspension drive shaft gas tank etc. and post them. One other thing the SLP firehawks with 1LE are completely different.

Edited by TWO LANE BLACK TOP
  • Like 1