Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Chaos's fan fiction: "Shattered"

[ChaosweaveR]

Figured I'd show you guys my writing project that's occupied me for the past month and a half.

Yes, it's based around the Sonic universe, but it's non-canon. What does that mean? My story does not follow the familiar storyline from the games and comics. I've created my own alternative reality for the characters I've selected and they're much older from the games/comics.

I've been told this has a "Fallout" feel to it. Read for yourselves and tell me what you think! The story is still ongoing, so expect chapter updates when I'm done with final drafts for each chapter.

The pic below, I found this on deviant art. This whole storyline that developed in my head was all triggered by this single picture. They are the two main characters in my story. Amy Rose to the left, and Miles "Tails" Prower who I write in the first person for.

553123_395432103880250_64549223_n.jpg

Prologue:

"I feel like things are never going to change. Ever,"

As we sit at the small makeshift bar, Amy is once again drowning her sorrows with her favorite beer. It was a locally made lager, Amy loved it mainly because of the heart on the label. I had my usual cocktail, never had a name for it, but the barkeep knew the ingredients by heart. One part orange juice, one part grenadine, one part vodka and two parts coconut vodka. Sweet, goes down smooth but with a kick. Barkeep named it after me, since I never gave it a name after coming up with the ingredients.

Myself and Amy have been coming to this tiny bar down the road from our apartment for three years now. Three long years. We joined the militia soon after Sonic went missing going after Dr. Robotnik, things got bad after he never came back. Robotnik wasn't stopped, whatever he created though, it fused with his body. Although nobody has ever gotten close enough, the only reports we've gotten is that Robotnik appears more "cybernetic", rumor has it he tried integrating Metal Sonic with his own mind and body, but lost his own sanity in the process.

Ever since, we've been at war with the mindless war machine that is the army of Robotnik. Our town hasn't seen much combat at all, fortunately. The city to the east of us has seen a lot of action, Utica is a shadow of it's former glory. The outskirts of the city is littered with debris and damaged buildings, the inner section has become heavily barricaded and is now a base for the militia. I've gone there quite a few times to face the waves of robotic soldiers sent by Robotnik, the heartless brutality of their combat strategies is terrifying enough, especially when the war began. But thanks to the evolution of our own powerful weapon, the EMP (Electro Magnetic Pulse)

But today, it was another patrol guarding our own hometown. The attacks on Utica have started to go down as of late, I asked my CO if myself and Amy could patrol out hometown, since Utica was only five miles away from us and the town itself never had much protection. It's been four months we've kept guard here, no attacks. Still, even with attacks on our neighboring city decreasing and attacks elsewhere decreasing, it's no excuse to let your guard down.

As Amy tries to drown her sorrows, I sit with my cocktail in hand lost in thought. Not only worried about why there's less attacks going on, but wondering if Sonic is even still alive. Why wouldn't he come back? So many questions that just cannot be answered. Amy has lost all hope, she keeps badgering me to move on, but I just can't. He never gave up on me and I don't plan on giving up on him anytime soon.

My name is Miles Prower, this is my story.

Chapter 1:

12:00 hours.

While doing our patrol, my CO contacted me on my radio. His voice, it sounded urgent.

"Miles! Miles, do you copy?"

"What is it sir?"

"Ambush on the eastern walls of Utica base, we need you two down here!"

"10-4,"

There was no real reason on asking about leaving our town unattended to, I have my orders. Amy looks at me, it's obvious she's upset that I said nothing about the town's defense. But we don't have a say, she knows this. Regardless, we make our way to Utica. Heading back to my place, Amy runs inside for the stockpile I've kept on ammunition. I take the cover off my old dirt bike, there's still a half tank of fuel left, more than enough to go there and back.

"I have 20 magazines, should be enough between the two of us, right?"

Amy comes back outside with her militia issued knapsack filled with spare magazines for our rifles. Standard issue militia equipment, KT-38 battle rifles are what we carry. Fully automatic, 30 round magazines, but also can be kept to fire three round bursts. The .357 rounds are enough to take out Robotnik's soldiers, especially when you learn how to quickly take them down.

"That's enough, Amy. The CO is waiting for us, let's get outta here,"

I fire up the old dirt bike, never liked the kick start. The little 150cc motor screams to life, I hold down the clutch and tap it into first gear and off we went.

"Do you still think about him?"

"What?"

"Sonic, do you still think if he's coming back?"

"Amy, what do you think?"

"I think you're crazy for thinking he could still be alive after Robotnik changed,"

"Sonic has survived a lot worse, you know that,"

"Tails, you gotta let it go,"

I stopped the bike. My nickname, only Sonic called me that long after my childhood. Even when I turned 21, right before Sonic went away, he always called me that. He was the only one I really didn't mind calling me that, especially after he did for me...

"Don't call me that, Amy,"

"I...I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you,"

"Whatever, we need to get going,"

Arriving into Utica, we came through the western side. Already I can hear gunfire from our troops on the eastern wall. Finally, we approach the western checkpoint into the base. My CO is there waiting. His face is pale, he's been fighting with the troops, that's for sure.

"Miles, we really need your help. Same with you, Amy. The metallic troops caught us off guard, we're holding them off for now, there's only eight of us in this sector. Reinforcements are on their way, you two were the closest. Help our troops, any way you can,"

"Yes, sir,"

"Yes, sir,"

I ride the dirt bike towards the eastern wall, heavy gunfire echoes through the base. Soon I can hear the chatter from the troops, doesn't sound too bad. By the time I arrive to the open sector by the wall, two metallics were already on the verge of climbing the wall and breaching our defense. Our troops keeping communication clear, it was always intense on the front lines.

"TWO METALLICS! Your right flank solider. TAKE THEM OUT!"

"Suppressing fire!"

"One down, cover me I'm reloading!"

"SUPPRESSING FIRE!"

"I SAID TAKE HIM OUT, GOD DAMMIT!"

The captain of these troops quickly approached myself and Amy.

"Finally, you're here. Any word on the reinforcements?"

Amy speaks up. "Our CO said they're en route,"

"Good, take cover in the tower there. Give covering fire to my five guys bunkered down by the entryway. They're starting to try and climb the walls, take them out before they do,"

"Yes, sir,"

"Yes, sir,"

I flip out my dirt bike's kickstand and leave the bike away from the fighting. Amy has already run to the tower's ladder, I quickly follow suit. Up top, there's a catwalk connecting us to two other towers, it's fairly open, so moving from tower to tower looks risky once we're spotted.

"Amy, stay here, I'll take the tower on the left flank. We can take them out easier if we're spread out,"

"Okay, T-I mean, Miles,"

I disregard her correction, not really the time to worry about that. Staying low, I head to the left tower. This section actually has steel flooring, I can't see below me. I take my KT-38 from my back pouch,remove the safety, arm a fresh mag and take aim for any metallics trying to breach the wall...

Chapter 2:

15:30 hours

The first wave of metallics have been wiped out. Luckily, we suffered no losses, but our reinforcements haven't arrived yet. I'm leery of when a second wave will strike, but I have to be ready for anything.

Over to my right, Amy still stares down the sight of her KT-38. She hasn't moved since the last metallic was taken out. Her face is distraught yet focus still remains. This war has really taken a toll on the poor girl, despite her annoyance, I do sympathize.

I walk over to Amy, I have to do something.

"Amy, stand down. There's no more hostiles," I tell her. But it's no use, she stares blankly into the sight of her rifle. I notice her eyes have become more red, I then realize she's trying to hold back her tears.

I try to get her attention one last time.

"Amy, you can stand down, it's okay right now,"

I put my hand on the top of the barrel of her rifle. My hand obstructs her view, she finally comes around. She looks up at me, she can't hold back anymore. She grabs onto me, burying her head into my chest.

"I can't take this anymore! I'm tired of this goddamn war! I'm tired of everything! Robotnik, the metallics, the militia, fighting and fighting and fighting..." She begins to trail off, quietly sobbing more and more. I feel torn, I've lost a lot too, but I know I can't give up. Amy's lost her entire family and most of her friends. I hug Amy back, not really knowing what to say to make her feel any better. I notice my CO and the squad's captain looking up by the tower we're in, wondering why we're still up there.

"Sargent Miles, everything okay up there?"

"Yes sir, Amy's just really distraught. Give us ten minutes, sir,"

I can't be up here all night. But I gotta bring back Amy to town. She needs rest, no alcohol this time. She finally looks up at me, her face weathered and worn, she managed to smile through the emotional pain. "Thank you, Miles, thank you for just being there for me,"

"Come on, Amy. Let's get you home,"

After getting down and putting away out gear, I get my dirt bike ready. I kick start the bike to life, my CO walks over to me. "Miles, you need to stay here," I sigh and look back at my CO, as I kick back out the kickstand on my dirt bike.

"Sir, Amy's not fit to stay here on the base, I'm bringing her back to town. I haven't seen her brake down like this, I'm only returning her back to town," I tell my CO. I can see the sympathy in his face.

"Make it quick, Sargent. If she's that distraught, I don't have an issue with you returning her to the barracks. Go, take her back,"

I nod, "Thank you, sir,"

"Just do what you need to do and return Miles,"

Amy is already on the back of the bike, her eyes still red and her nose puffy from crying. It really does bother me to see her like this. She's one of the few childhood friends I have left, from when times were good, carefree, even with Robotnik trying his schemes...Sonic always found ways to foil his plans.

I hop back on the bike, kick out the kickstand and click into first as I squeeze the clutch. Amy holds tight, rests her head on my back as I make my way out of the base. Soon, I'm back out west, heading towards to shady town we've called home for three years now.

Amy rubs my shoulder with her left hand, getting my attention. "Miles, thank you. I felt overwhelmed, I feel like the reality of everything just hit me when the gun fight was over. Miles, you're all I have left from what I know. I don't want to lose you, not after all we've been through,"

I rest my right hand her hand, "Amy, you're not going to lose me, you have my word. We've lost everything, I know, but we're going to just give up. Not now. But in the meantime, you've got to rest. You're in no shape to defend Utica in your current mindset,"

Arriving into town, it was like we never left. I sigh out of relief, I pull my bike in front of our small apartment. Amy hops off, I go to get off but she stops me.

"Miles, no. You've got to get back. You've been more than helpful, but you've got the base to help defend. Plus, I don't want your CO peeved at you because of me,"

"I'll be back when I can," I reply. "Get some rest, I'll come back for you when you're better,"

Dumping the clutch on my bike, I spin 180 degrees and head back to Utica.

Chapter 3:

19:00 hours.

The warm night air hits my face as I ride my dirt bike back to Utica. Only the barricaded base is lit while the rest of the city sits in darkness. It's always freaked me out how eerie Utica looked at night, along with the silence that hung over the city as well.

But it was never always like this. As much as I long for the days gone by, they are only a distant memory in my thoughts. Sonic's disappearance put everyone on edge, but when Robotnik attacked South Island...everything changed.

************ 3 years ago ************

"Tails, TAILS!"

I open up my eyes, I've fallen asleep under the old tree by my house again. "Ugh, Sonic? I was enjoying a nap, watcha want?"

Sonic's already standing above me. Smirking, he rustles up my hair. "Come on, Tails. We gotta go! Some of Robotnik's dumb robots have been spotted by the east end of the island again. How about we give them a warm welcome?"

It was good, even with Robotnik sending in his goons, Sonic always knew how to keep him in check. Sonic's been doing this for 13 years now, or at least as long as I've known him. But even though he seemed like his normal self, Sonic's anger towards Robotnik has increased quite a bit. It's been bothering me, it's unusual to see Sonic...angry.

The day was coming to an end, Sonic didn't seem happy like when he first got me today. It was just making me worry more about him, especially with my birthday coming up soon. I still can't believe I'm going to be 21.

"Hey, Sonic. You were taking down those robots really aggressively...you feeling okay?"

"I'm just sick of Robotnik messing with South Island, why hasn't he learned that he never wins? Ever?!"

"Sonic, chill, it's not worth getting mad over. We got rid of them, the island is safe again,"

Sonic just scowls at me, and gets up. We have been sitting under the old tree for a few hours now. "No, he needs to be stopped, once and for all. He can't menace us and our friends anymore, what kind of a hero am I if I can't even stop Robotnik for good?" he says.

"Sonic," I could really think of any response...he's helped me out so much, but I didn't want to see him upset like this. I grab my right tail out of nervousness, a habit I've had ever since I was little. "You've helped us so much, you're like the big brother I never had, I-I would be lost without you, for all that you've done for me,"

Sonic looked back at me, he smirked, but I could tell he wasn't happy. The depression in his eyes, I couldn't help but feel like be was drowned in sorrow because of not finishing off Robotnik with all the chances he had. The smirk went away from Sonic's face, a look of seriousness replaces it, he sternly spoke to me.

"Tails, do not follow me, none of you. I want none of you to follow me or come after me," Sonic says with his back to me. "I'm going to end this with Robotnik, he can't be allowed to live, not anymore. He's done enough to South Island for over 13 years," Sonic looks back at me, scruffs my hair again and smirks again, "You've grown a lot since I found you. Take care of South Island, kiddo,"

"Sonic, no!"

It was too late, he took off towards the west, Robotnik's lair was a volcanic island that we've only seen once on the Tornado. I didn't know much about it, aside from that's where he runs away to and where his robot and ship production takes place. But how was he going to get there?

A flash, then I see a yellow streak rush over the ocean. I forgot, he could still go super. My heart sank as he disappeared over the horizon, I feared for what Robotnik's defenses were, when we circled the perimeter around the island, it was hard to tell what defense he had, it looked to be mostly underground. Robotnik was an engineer like me, I knew he had to be utilizing the magma as a power source, so the limits of what he could make did scare me.

"What?!"

Amy's reaction was kind of expected, after all she still hopelessly had feelings for him. Knuckles didn't seem surprised. "I give him a week, two weeks tops. He's been bottling up his anger and frustration with Robotnik for awhile now," Knuckles shrugs, but seems unusually calm about Sonic running off the way he did.

"What if he doesn't come back?" I asked Knuckles. "He'll come back, it's not like him to be gone long from South Island. He gets homesick rather quickly, you know," he replied.

"But he said for nobody to follow him of go after him, I've never heard him be so grim or demand such a thing, Knuckles, he might not come back," I pleaded. "Stop it, fox. When has he never come back, huh? Exactly. Chill out little bro,"

************ Two weeks after Sonic leaves ************

Another sunny day, another day wondering when Sonic would return. Amy came back from the city of Utica, apart of the mainland to the east of South Island, she was visiting family there. I was tweaking a radio I made when I was much younger, it stopped working a few years ago and I was tired of it gathering dust.

"No word from Sonic, Miles?"

"No," I replied.

"I know he'll come back. He has to, or he's dead to me!"

Amy's innocence at this age was pretty unreal, but that's just the lifestyle she lives and how she was raised. I finish up the radio, finally reattaching the back panel and reconnecting the batteries. "Aha!" As I proclaim victory over my radio repair, I leave it on AM to see if it picks up any stations. Mostly news networks inhabited that frequency.

"Wait, Miles, go back, I heard Robotnik's name mentioned!" Sure enough, going back, an urgent news message was being given. "Sonic didn't get him?" I say to myself. "Miles, shhhhh!"

"Our second reports are coming in, the cities of Xiandria and Belmont are currently under attack from bombers. It has been confirmed that they are apart of Robotnik's forces. But this is very unlike Robotnik, downtown Xiandria has been carpet bombed by two different bombers. The UAF's Air Force has been dispatched, they have orders to engage and destroy the attackers. Robotnik has signaled an act of war. God help us all,"

I was in disbelief, Robotnik would never attack on such a large scale, ever. Let alone start a war. Chills ran down my spine, but the report continued:

"More reports have come in about Robotnik, he appears cybernetically altered, his actions are absolutely ruthless and inhumane. The UAF is arming itself for total war, people in the surrounding cities from the strike zones, stay indoors unless advised by the UAF to evacuate,"

No, he couldn't have...there's no way. Robotnik once threatened Sonic years ago about turning Metal Sonic into a cybernetic system for himself a few years ago when Sonic and myself destroyed Metal Sonic MKII.

Sonic not returning, a cybernetic Robotnik, no...just no. Amy had no words, she knew about Robotnik's threat...she could be foolish a lot, but even she knew. "Miles, we need to find Sonic!" Amy cried out to me.

"No, we don't even know where he could be, Robotnik is a huge threat now, going right for his island could mean certain death. I need some time to figure out what to do..."

That's when I switched to another radio station, an announcement for a new branch of the UAF, simply called, "The Militia". Urging citizens to enlist and protect their homelands, it looked like the UAF finally launched their program to make more people local to enlist for the military, ironically this was just perfect timing. As for me, the perfect idea spawned in my thoughts.

"Amy, grab your things. We're going back to Utica, we're joining the Militia,"

Chapter 4:

"Miles, why are we joining the militia again?"

Amy wasn't really grasping my idea on how to both be able to fight back against Robotnik and be able to seek out Sonic at the same time. I didn't want to stand around and watch Robotnik terrorize the world.

Riding my dirt bike into Utica, I knew there was a small recruitment center in the eastern section of the city. Amy's grip around my waist was not very strong anymore. We have been riding for over an hour now, no surprise she's tired. But I made my way through the busy city streets. Amy told me her family just happened to live down the road from the militia recruitment center. It was getting late, I'd rather go first thing in the morning and be clear minded while making this big decision.

Amy realizes where she is finally and comes to. "Oh, Miles! We're on my block," she says. Amy points down the road to her family's apartment. Their stoop stood out as the railings were blue, unlike the rest of the neighborhood which had grey railings.

"Amy, how come the railings are blu-" I stopped myself before I could finish because I already knew. "Oh," I said.

"What do you mean, 'Oh?', huh Miles?"

"Because I already know why they're blue," I replied as I gave her, 'the look'. Amy sticks her tongue at me, obviously I was right.

I hop the curb in between two cars and pull my dirt bike up to the side of the stoop. Her apartment building was huge. I look down the road, I could still see the recruitment center. My curiosity got the best of me as I wanted to check it out before it got too late. Maybe ask some questions, see how I can make the best of this, see if Amy even has what it takes and possibly...find Sonic. "Amy!" I called out to her as she was on the top of the stoop already. "I'm just going to that place, I want to pick up some info before we go sign up tomorrow," Amy nodded, she was waiting on her mother to open the door, with the madness going on in nearby cities, people were becoming paranoid quick.

I left the bike up on it's kickstand, grabbed the key and made my way down the block. Not a whole lot of people were walking the sidewalks, but the streets were bustling with traffic. People were buzzed with the thought of war, Robotnik truly stirring up madness upon society. For the first time, he's making me nervous. I've never been nerve racked by that fat dope before, but he's not the same. If he's really fused Metal Sonic's cybernetics with himself, this can only get worse.

"Ah, here it is," I say to myself. I take a deep breath and open up the door. Right away, I noticed the walls had advertisements for the military, the good it brings for it's soldiers and more about discipline, strength and honor. To my right, a military officer wearing a simple Army t-shirt sits at his desk, preoccupied with his computer until he notices me.

"Hey there, kiddo! You thinking of enlisting? You got good timing if ya do!" He says enthusiastically.

"Yeah, I wanted to get some info before myself and my friend enlist first," I tell him.

"Wait a minute, two tails? Well shit, you're Sonic's buddy, aren't ya?"

Oh boy, because of Sonic's popularity and hero to the public status, I've become just as famous for being Sonic's closest friend. I'm surprised this officer recognized me, but maybe that's a good thing.

The officer stands up and approaches me, he lays his hand on my shoulder. "So you really want to enlist? You'd be our highest profile solider to sign up. You know, I admire your engineering work. You could go far in this sudden time of need, boy,"

Before I can answer, the office rumbles. "What the-"

I run outside, I see a mushroom cloud towards the coast. My heart sinks, I freeze up. That's the direction of South Island. Just as quickly as this horror sinks in, the officer barks at me. "GET BACK IN, BOY!" I look down the road and see Amy running towards me. "Amy! Follow me, NOW!" I yell at her. "What's that-" I grab her arm and drag her into the office. "Miles! Down here! There's a bomb shelter right below, take cover!"

Amy was still confused, I brought her down the stairs. "Go!" The officer stayed behind, he pulled the massive lead reinforced door shut behind us. Amy runs to a couch nearby at the base of the stairs, she sits and curls into a ball, confused and scared. "What is going on Miles?!" She says to me. I look back at the officer, he comes down the stairs with a grim look on his face. We both know the impact ring will hit from the massive explosion soon. Sure enough, the room rumbles. We both look up, only wondering how badly the city was hit. Just then, the lights go out.

"Miles?! Oh god, why is this happening?"

******2 months later******

I rub my eyes and look at the clock over to my right, it's only 10am. It's been two months since any of us have seen real daylight. We've been waiting out for the initial radiation to subside, supposedly it was past the safe period. The once enlistment officer, Sargent Konrad, is on the radio again. A week ago, he finally reached out to a nearby convoy. The military was starting to scour the city for survivors and to take out any possible hostiles.

"This is Sargent Konrad, Company 16 do you read me?"

The radio has been silent the past couple of days, but Konrad never let his hope subside. The military never left anyone behind. As I get up to find something to eat, I see Amy in her bed still. She's been miserable, we have no idea if her family survived or if anyone from South Island survived. I tried so hard to block out the inevitable reality that lied outside of this box.

Suddenly, the radio crackles to life.

"Sargent Konrad, this is Lieutenant Crawford of Company 16. We are near your vicinity, you in the old fallout shelter, correct?"

"Yes sir,"

"Today's your lucky day, boy. Your ass is comin' home. You still have the two civilians with ya?"

"Yes sir, ironically enough, they wanted to enlist,"

"Well shit! They got the timing down pat! I imagine you've gotten them somewhat up to speed, eh? If not I'm puttin' my boot up yer ass for giving me more work!"

"Yes sir, they're up to speed, at least on paper,"

This was it, myself and Amy were going in, our real way to fight back the new menace that has become of Robotnik. Time to fight for all those that have fallen because of his evil, for those that couldn't defend themselves. Time for me to become a solider and make my own story of a hero.

******current day******

As I sat on the side of the road and stared into the stars, I start to realize just how far I've come in the militia. My CO has been with me since that fateful day in Utica, I had no idea Konrad would really make sure he took me under his wing. Now look, I'm a Sargent and recognized for my engineering skills.

I get back on my dirt bike after it cooled down and headed back to Utica under the moonlight. Time to keep fighting, time to keep moving forward, time to make my own hero story.

Chapter 5:

19:00 hours

It's been a week since the last encounter with the metallics. Amy's been in town the entire time. She calls when she can, but the past two days it's been silent on her end. But with the squad on edge about another attack, going back to check on her is out of the question.

Konrad finally puts in the good word for me to the squad's leader, Lieutenant Harper. Harper's never disliked me, but he doesn't like the idea of a single solider just getting up and leaving camp.

"Sargent! Come have a word with me for a second,"

Harper calls me over, I knew Konrad was talking to him. Harper seemed a bit more lax with his presence than usual.

"Kid, I'm letting you go back into that town. Konrad's been chatting with me, I know you've noticed by now. Honestly, I really don't know who you were before this war, but going by what Konrad's told me and with you knowing Sonic, I guess this mess isn't too much for you to handle,"

He pats me on the back, "Do what you need to do, technically you aren't under my command, but you've still done more than I could have asked for. Thank you, Sargent Miles,"

He salutes me, I salute back. A huge weight is lifted off my shoulders, I can finally make sure Amy is okay. The 48 hours of silence from her has really been troubling to me, especially with her very clingy and needy ways.

I head to my small makeshift room inside the main building, I'll leave in the morning. It's been way too quiet, who knows what may be lurking in the shadows of the roads I need to travel at this time...

****** 9:30 hours ******

Another day greets my face, the sun is shining this morning. The ghost city of Utica shines in the light, with the base it's only source of life within it's withered ruins.

I sit up in my cot, my eyelids still heavy and my eyes still seeing blurry as I slowly wake up. I reach upward to stretch, nothing like a decent night's sleep on a cot, huh?

As I gather my clothes for the day, I find my shoes next to the cot. Those shoes, they've become rather iconic because of my adventures with Sonic. I've never come to terms with parting with them, especially since they fit me still and are super easy to repair. Red and white, two favorite colors of mine, now they're not just shoes...but they're almost apart of who I am. Even though they're scuffed up, I still love them.

I toss the rest of my things in my knapsack, grab my keys and leave the room. Outside, there's not a cloud in the sky. The other soldiers seem a bit more at ease with the unusually nice weather. I see Harper on one of the watch towers. He simply nods to me and returns to his duty.

My dirt bike roars to life, still a quarter tank of fuel in there. Considering fuel is sparse, my old dirt bike certainly comes through. Konrad comes over to me as I put the bike in 1st.

"Miles, when do you think you'll be back?"

"I dunno, sir. I honestly don't know what to expect when I arrive there,"

"Well, you're still going to be on call if things get messy here. Our reinforcements keep getting delayed,"

I nod to Konrad, and roll away on the bike. It's only 10:00 hours and it's already getting hot out again. The fun of living in such a warm climate. The paths leading from Utica to the town went through open plains, there was a forest to the south, but not close enough to worry about incoming fire. Especially considering the entrance to the forest was very open.

Halfway to town, I notice steam starting to come from the engine. "Dammit! Again, you stupid bike?" As I pull over, I come to the small section of fence that I've always made my stop for breaks or if this happens. The bike had a bad coolant hose, it only leaked when it was at optimal temperature and even then, never always leaked. It was an older dirt bike, I never could find a hose for it, finding one now was out of the question. Made me wish I bought an air cooled bike instead.

I kick out it's kickstand and let the bike cool. I hop on the fence and look out to the ocean. The coast was nearby with South Island in the horizon. After three years, it still looked charred up. I've never been back since Robotnik wiped out the island, especially since there were no boats to use aside from the militia's. If I ever do come across a stranded boat, I will make my way back.

Losing so many friends and family, it hurt. It hurt so much, but with the war going on, time for regret and remorse just wasn't an option. But the war has slowed dramatically, attacks from metallics have dropped significantly in the past six months. It only makes me worry, especially since the militia is starting to become lax with their guard around the globe.

Steam still arose from the old hose, I was getting impatient with the bike's overheating issue. "Dumb bike, how much time do you need? Sheesh," I sit back down on the fence, my right ear twitches, something was rustling by my 3'o clock. I turned my head slightly to the right, sure enough, it was a goddamn metallic in the tall grass. No time to grab my rifle on my back, I reach for my sidearm on my left side very slowly. It was my trusty 1191 handgun, but I re-engineered it to use the same rounds as our rifles. My superiors actually had the design copied for superior officers to carry, the gun earned the nickname "Desert Fox" as a result.

I couldn't tell if this was a scout, or really an ambush. Regardless, my bike was not cooled down yet and I couldn't risk letting the metallic get closer. My left hand was fully on the handle, I was trying so hard not to make it obvious I knew it was there.

The metallic creeped closer towards the path, it had to be a scout if it was trying to get a clear view of me. Scouts are minimally armed, but still enough to ruin your day. Sure enough, it poked its head around the weeds near the edge of the path. But it had something...my eyes widened, it's right arm WAS a weapon! Shit!

On instinct, I roll backwards into the weeds behind the fence, the scout isn't very smart as it popped up when I fell backwards. As I fell back, I unholstered my handgun, crouched I took aim and fired two shots directly at it's head. Like a human, it's CPU, or brain was up top. The metallic flails and collapses, I creep my way to the disabled drone, he's definitely alone because me opening fire would have caused other metallics to open fire.

It's head casing was damaged, exposing it's networking inside. To my amazement, the CPU wasn't hit, but I disabled it's motor functions unit.

"It's my lucky day, I've been wanting to analyze one of these since the war started!" I proclaim to myself. This certainly put me in a good mood, even better, the bike cooled down. Time to get the hell out of here. Don't need anymore scouts ambushing me.

"Miles!"

Amy was sitting on the stoop of our little apartment building. She looked better, that's for sure. The town seemed the same as well. I breathe a sigh of relief. Amy runs down to greet me even before I get off my dirt bike.

"Miles! You're okay! My radio broke, I think it blew a fuse, I dunno how to fix it," Amy pouts at me, she was just as worried about me. She's certainly gained affection for me over the past few months. Dare I even say, sometimes her old clingy self that she would be towards only Sonic.

"I have fuses, don't worry. I'm surprised it blew one, never did that before," I said as I looked in my knapsack. "But even better Amy, I recovered this!" I smiled as I showed her the recovered CPU from the scout metallic.

"Uh...what is it?" Amy says, confused.

"What is it? It's a CPU from a scout metallic!"

Amy still looks dumbfounded. Ugh.

"Amy...it was its brain," I say in an annoyed tone.

"OH! That's great! So...what does it do?"

I slap my hand on my face. She's still as clueless as ever. I get off my bike and kick out the kickstand and rest it on the right side of the stoop.

"Come on, Amy. Let's go inside, I'll fix that radio,"

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!