Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

My 99 Grand Am GT

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

thanks guys. haven't really done anything with it lately besides make a battery cover.

got board last week. iirc it was stupid hot and humid the day i made this so it was the only thing that got done but i did fabricate a little battery cover out of some sheet aluminum i had.

pretty sure i am going to redo it and make another one since i made a cut on one of the ears i folded over that did not need to be there.

100_1542.jpg

100_1538.jpg

100_1535.jpg

looks good any close up shots? I think next time you should have it cover further down on the battery. I wish I had the tools to do stuff like that with my amagination.

' date='Jul 7 2010, 01:02 PM' post='31952']

I see an LX9 UIM. You get better airflow than the ported LA1?

supposedly it broadens the powerband but no one has any real world proof of it.

in all honesty the car feels the same as before when i had the 3400uim on there. maybe its just me or my butt dyno is out of calibration.

i just didn't feel like swapping the other stuff back on plus it's been kind of nasty outside. even in the garage it gets kind of swampy. still got the rear brakes to do on the subaru but yeah motivation isn't there for that so on the counter the parts sit.

looks good any close up shots? I think next time you should have it cover further down on the battery. I wish I had the tools to do stuff like that with my amagination.

it's already down to the posts on the battery which was 1" IIRC. unless i made it and then drilled the holes out for the terminals.

this was all done with obviously sheet metal, a pair of tin snips and a homemade brake consisting of 2x4's in my vise, so it is real DIY friendly. saw the idea about the DIY brake on an episode of ask this old house.

the homemade brake works pretty good. sandwich the metal in between the 2 pieces of wood shut the vise then bend it over by hand finishing it off with a hammer and another 2x4 piece. you end up with 90* bends with no tooling marks.

i was working on a strut tower brace for the rear but it's to hot to weld. it will go the obvious route between the strut towers and then back the rear panel that houses the trunk latch. sorta like this below

------

\ /

it's already down to the posts on the battery which was 1" IIRC. unless i made it and then drilled the holes out for the terminals.

Yea do that, thats what I was thinking.

I used to hate GA's until I came on here and saw Chaos', and now this one.. ahhhhhhh I need new shorts!!! I went from hating them to wanting one for myself!! I'm going to do my UIM and valve covers like yours, they make me happyyyy!!

I used to hate GA's until I came on here and saw Chaos', and now this one.. ahhhhhhh I need new shorts!!! I went from hating them to wanting one for myself!! I'm going to do my UIM and valve covers like yours, they make me happyyyy!!

i was in the same boat. when they are nicely modded, they can look sick! i used to think they can never look this good. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

i need to get tuning done so that i can go to the track and get times, as do you sir. id like to compare because i have pretty much everything you do minus the ported heads, but i have the 3500 heads. so i wanna see how close the stock 3500 heads get to ported 3400 heads. lol as always, nice car

• 1 year later...

few pics and and a video from an outing today.

for some reason the video sounds like i was half throttling it where it actually was around 6k+rpm's.

last one is the video. just wanted to see how the video would come out in the car. camera was held onto the seat by the camera strap and was right at the top of the seat.

029.jpg

030-1.jpg

th_001.jpg

havent seen u in a while

haven't really done anything with the car in awhile. tried to go to the track a few weeks back and it had to rain so no dice, but i did find the map sensor was dead so it was trying to flood the engine.

figured out the headlights too. the japanese wired them backwards so all i had to do was switch two of the wires around and they work perfectly.

looks great! :angry:

thanks

eventually i will get some rims. when i find something i like that is. i was thinking about torrent rims since they are similar to GTO rims.

• 4 weeks later...

i was primarily testing the IFR one of my friends setup for me to see how far off my tune now was. given my wideband it's not too bad. some minor tweaking and it should be good. overall it still pulls like a bastard even with the trans that i am still surprised it has held on this long. think it is dying a little bit in the high rpm range as you can hear some weird noises in on of the videos.

scaled the IFR to the vac changes.

1st one was from a dead stop.. went to 6500-6700 rpm's

2nd one was a rolling punch.. forget what i went to on this one

3rd one was a dead stop to WOT.. didn't get as high or as fast as i was aiming for since like every time i try there is a ton of cars around. so this was a mild run.

any odd noises you hear are from the car. 4 seconds in on the 2nd one is my car making that noise.

th_001-1.jpg

th_002.jpg

th_003.jpg

• 3 months later...

ok so i've had both of these for several years now. originally got the magnaflow ones when i got the flowmaster right after i got the GA and the way i set the pipe up i couldn't use them.

the SLP ones i got a few years ago. iirc they were some anniversary thing with SLP and camaro's.

now since i never liked the SLP tips that came with the catback kit i have been wanting to get rid of them for awhile now and finally busted out the grinder and removed them. only threw them on so i could have something on the car.

i'm leaning towards the magnaflow ones which would require me cutting a little more pipe off so i could sit the tips further back. the SLP ones fit on without me cutting.

too lazy to open the door so i didn't get a direct in back shot.

th_IMAG0121.jpg

th_IMAG0122.jpg

th_IMAG0126.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

the tips on the car. it was nice and warm the other day so i wanted to see how they looked outside so i went for a drive. still need to weld them to the muffler and fix the mount for the right side (hence the lopsided look) also probably gonna chop some pipe off and set them back further not too crazy on how far they stick out.

001.jpg

002-2.jpg

003.jpg

i've had these for years. got them shortly after i got the car way back when i put a flowmaster 80 on but could use them at the time since i the way i put the pipe on the muffler.

now it's a different muffler and finally decided to mount them. right now they are tightly fitted inside the pipe.

they are these tips...see the price hasn't changed since i bought they 4yrs ago.
/>http://www.amazon.com/Magnaflow-35168-Stainless-Steel-Exhaust/dp/B000COTHKI

• 2 weeks later...

some pics and a driveby video. gimme a break on the video i was by myself and i edited out the huge breaks from me driving down the road and turning around.

this is with the crappy oem style camaro muffler. i'll get another video with the edelbrock one maybe tomorrow.

025-2.jpg

026.jpg

033.jpg

and the video

th_MyMovie.jpg

• 3 months later...

so yes or no on the color change. black was getting old for quite some time and i had the paint from something else i painted.

the color is actually metallic charcoal.

th_IMAG0157.jpg

click the pic it get's bigger