Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Help with some info regard a 1971 Lemans sport convertible 455 hurst equipped

I am looking at a 1971 Lemans sport convertible with a 455 it also has the Hurst equipped emblems on the car. I been looks on the internet an can't find anything about that car with those options. Can anyone help with some info or point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

• Confused 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Sal. I own a '72 Lemans Sport Convertible. Mine came originally with a 350 2-bbl, but when I bought it, the guy I purchased it from, had already swapped in a 455. So my car is not numbers matching or all original.

A '71 Lemans Sport could have been ordered with the same engines as a GTO. The 400 or 455. A base 350 2-bbl was common - especially for insurance purposes.

An automatic transmission Hurst shifter has not been installed in the GTO or Lemans since 1968 as a factory option. However, the 1968 His/Hers Dual Gate Hurst shifter from 1968 will fit the 70-72 floor shift console. I know because I've installed one in my '72. Re-production "Hurst Equipped" emblems are readily available from various online catalog companies these days. After 1968, Hurst moved to Oldsmobile with their automatic shifters.

Likewise, manual Hurst shifters were not offered after 1968. However, you can purchase a manual Hurst shifter from the aftermarket. A Hurst shifter is often considered a superior piece over an OEM factory shifter of the day..

The only way to know for certain that the Lemans you are looking at is the original engine to do some homework. A machined pad on the passenger side of the engine near the water pump should contain some letters and numbers. The numbers should match the last six digits of your vehicle's VIN # (a.k.a. the sequence number). If it does not, then most likely the engine has been replaced. Pontiac Historical Services can tell you what the car was born with given the car's VIN #  and your credit card. It is a good piece of information to have if you intend to keep this car.

http://www.phs-online.com/

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 2

Okay that changes thing a little bit. Starting with the1972 model year, the VIN included the original engine code. So the 5th position will tell you what the car originally came with.

Again to validate that you still have the original engine in the car, look for the machine pad on the passenger side of the front of the motor near the water pump. The sequence number or serial number stamped on the engine should match the sequence or serial number portion of the VIN. If not, the engine has been replaced with something else.

image.thumb.png.a21cb73a687cc3376118a89b25c496fb.png

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1