Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Valve Springs 101

Someone I know just rebuilt his LS4 (Grand Prix GXP) and was talking about Beehive springs (he upgraded the cam while he was in the process of deleting his displacement on demand system). That caught my ear as I, until then, was unlearned about all there is in the field of valvetrain theory (well, not really "all" but I did learn a lot reading the below article).

Anyway, I started digging and came across the following article that I thought I would share as I (at least) found it interesting, insightful and in a way, kinda fun to read.

https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-stories/engine/valve-spring-tech-overview-of-valve-spring-design-dynamics/

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Interesting article Stewy. I like a lot of the basic information. 

One thing I think this article lacks is that it relies on information solely from all the major cam companies as sources, but not one of the big three OEMs. It is a combination of new engine designs and engine families along with the performance and aftermarket industry that evolves engine (and automotive technology as a whole). Where would SEMA be if there was no auto industry? 

Still it was a good basic fact article. I think a lot of the evolution we are seeing today has to do with the fact that we have so much more sophiscated computer modeling techniques that eve before - particuar in fluid flow / fluid dynamics - to better model engine performance and expectations.