Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Michigan and Ohio senators demand Obama gets tough on South Korean auto importing

Jedi3

Michigan and Ohio senators demand Obama gets tough on South Korean auto importing

korean-shipment.jpg

Talk to most analysts in the auto world, and they'll say that the recent rise of South Korean automakers like Hyundai and Kia have been an absolute blessing to the industry as a whole. Consumers now have an array of quality, inexpensive products, extra jobs have landed in rural areas of the deep south thanks to American-based manufacturing facilities and the competition from low-priced models have forced domestic manufacturers to up their game.

But not everyone's thrilled about the balance of automotive trade between the two nations. According to The Detroit News, senators Debbie Stabenow, D-Michigan, and Sherrod Brown, D-Ohio, recently wrote to the Obama administration in order to urge the President to take a hard line on the South Korean Free Trade Agreement.

The two senators aren't taking issue with Korean products here in the U.S., they simply think it's unfair that South Korea has made it economically difficult to import vehicles into the country. The senators want American companies to have the opportunity to do business on the peninsula – something that most automakers, with the exception of General Motors, have been pushing for since before the second President Bush was in office. GM, meanwhile, owns Korean automaker Daewoo, so it has no problem dealing with the current ban on auto imports.

For its part, Obama administration has said that it will once again open talks about the free trade agreement in hopes of making more American goods available in the global market.

[source: The Detroit News | Image: Ted Aljibe/AFP/Getty Images]

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/20/michiga...-on-south-kore/

well lets see where this takes us. We let too many countries sell there crap there but they dont let us do the same in there home countries. Also some countries place a limit to how many cars we can sell in there country to give there brands a leg up. I have said for years stuff like this is horse shit why do we do business with them!?!? Why cuz Americas are cheep, lazy & dont give two shits about America anymore or forgot how or think they do and are wrong! BLA BLA BLA you all know me and how I feel so you know the rest of my rant without typing it. lol

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Im not too political nor will I get into a pissing contest with anyone who is but seriously.... after all the shit Korea does (north or south... same diff) ... they still have the nerve to stick their shit it to the US' butt? And of course Nobama just bends over and bites the pillow..go figure! Yeah we be phukd!

• Founders

Obama is not gonna do ANYTHING!! After all that is his policy...

Anywho I totally agree that we either stopping taking these countries shit till we get the same import values they get or we just limit it all together!