Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hi everyone new to this forum but have had classic.I have bought a 1969 bonneville and took it in to have some things checked.Seems my sending unit isn't working and started to look for one and surprised how hard it is to find.So my question does anyone know where I can find one?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

I can appreciate your position. It's amazing that you can purchase a new tank but not the sending unit. If you can't find NOS parts, then you have to try something else. eBay may have a sending unit you are looking for but you will have to pay whatever the asking price is. Some alternatives that are not ideal but are much more affordable that you might want to consider are listed below:

This fits a 71-72 Bonneville - not quite what you are looking for though - but close

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/gmk-tnkfg106a/applications/?page=2

Here is one for a 1969 Chevy Impala - since this is for the Chevy big car - it maybe the same or similar sending unit

http://www.carparts.com/details/Chevrolet/Impala/Replacement/Fuel_Sending_Unit/1969/REPC670319.html?TID=gglpla&origin=pla&gclid=CJrK3pfB1dQCFZhLDQoduuAAIw&gclsrc=aw.ds

Dorman has a universal kit which you would have to adapt to make work

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-55818-Universal-Level-Sending/dp/B019CXVE9G/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1498274167&vehicle=1969-52-591------------1-0&sr=1-2-catcorr&ymm=1969%3Apontiac%3Abonneville&keywords=fuel+level+sending

If this was my car, I might be tempted to try the Impala unit first followed by the 71-72 unit.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

Hi Frosty and thanks for the information.Sent this over to the car to see what he thought.He said looks like the doman is to long and thought as I did like you that Impala might work but he said the problem would it only has one fuel line connected to it.I seen mine and it is actually a cylinder about 7in long maybe 4 in dia and the plate most likely about 5 in dia with 5 screw holes wonder why two fuel line one in and one out??

3 hours ago, Tetru said:

Hi Frosty and thanks for the information.Sent this over to the car to see what he thought.He said looks like the doman is to long and thought as I did like you that Impala might work but he said the problem would it only has one fuel line connected to it.I seen mine and it is actually a cylinder about 7in long maybe 4 in dia and the plate most likely about 5 in dia with 5 screw holes wonder why two fuel line one in and one out??

Does the car have air conditioning? Most AC cars had a return line for gas vapors. Non-AC cars had a single line. So order a sending unit with the correct number of lines.

Edited by Frosty

No AC but is a convertible running with a 428 engine.Hummm wonder why it had two lines then maybe back then they grabbed whatever off the line to get it out.Also wondering if it could be jarred loose and start to work.Just a thought with this crappy gas now and the gauge is reading 1/4 .

• Like 1

Summit tried to find an adapter but couldn't then came back and said they found that would work then showed my car guy and think he is right think the problem is that on the 68 and 69 bonneville's the tanks are long and thinner compared to the ones that are shorter and bigger.Mine looks like it's alsomost 2-/1/2-3 feet both with and depth and maybe 7 deep

Does your car have a charcoal gas vapor canister on either side of the engine bay? Most likely would be on the passenger side, near the core support of the inner fender.  That would explain the return line. Just out of curiosity, have you traced the return line forward to see what it is connected to?

My '72 Lemans convertible has both AC and the charcoal canister.

Is the tank out of the Bonneville at this point along with the fuel level sender? Also has anyone checked the fuel gauge to see if it is working properly? If the sender is out of the tank, have you checked the ohms coming off the sender to insure its bad?

Oh yea its out of the Bonneville.from what I have told it is the design of the tank.They used it in the 68 and 69 Bonneville only.And also told the best way to go about is to have the one I got rebuilt.Am looking at something yards nationwide.Also finding out you can't get tank straps either.As far as venting it helps the old Q-jet carbs

One in Arizona and he said it will cost between 45-90 just to pull the tank not even sure if it would work so going to pull the tank this fall and have it rebuilt over the winter.Will just top off every 100 miles or so.But finding it kind of weird car guy told me he couldn't put headers on it said ok lets go with just duel exhaust and now he tells me they do that either said pipes would hit the starter.Pretty sure I got the wrong car guy so far he has had the car 6 weeks and nothing done.I think he could of found out the sending unit was bad in a few days and the same with the exhaust.I know one can be made we have a real good shop here called rainbow muffler .But am finding it hard to find things for the Bonneville talked a few time with Original Parts and can't get door inserts and even now asked about the exhaust system and told only in the Grand Pex.    

Try Interiors by Harry Samuel.  (248) 335-1900  for the door panels. I heard Harry was trying to retire so I don't know if he's still doing it but he covered the big cars like nobody's business when he was in business.

A competent muffler shop should be able to build a custom exhaust from universal mandrel bent tubing kit in a day.

Something tells me the service repair parts are out there for the fuel level sender. I just have not figured it out yet.

Hi Frosty think your right parts are there.I rebuilt a 57 chevy  and parts are out there for anything will just have to take time.Pretty sure the shop I took it to is more or less changing sensor's brake jobs stuff like nothing old school type car guys.I told him last nite if he can't find anything to just replace the pipe from back of muffler pretty straight piece and would look around later They had it for almost 6weeks now and really haven't done anything.Oh well live a learn..

I agree about the '57 Chevy. It's just about the most popular car on the planet. 

Did you call Harry yet about the interior panels?

Not yet will next month they replaced steering box.ball joints tie rib ends waiting for the rain to stop to see how she rides.they couldn't do the muffled so will take it and have them fabbbed in.talked to people at original parts and was told it easier to sell parts for the got le mans then it is for the Bonneville and the only ones compatible are the grand prix and Catalina Bonneville is different did find a gas tank that would fit a 70 buick wagon