Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Disk brake conversion

Hey everyone,  Looking to do some upgrades to my 50 silver streak and sure could use some help. I plan on changing to front disk brakes, new front springs, only to start with these for now. Have been looking for a kit to change brakes but can only find kits that go to 1955 and newer. Couple of my buddies say that I can use s-10 spindles mid 80s. any ideas.???

• 1 month later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Hi Breaknick,

Check on website, google crankshaft coalition. I am trying to change suspension on 38 Pontiac. Lots of great info on changing to disc brake, ball joint, front suspension. I used the 1958 Pontiac A-Arms and spindles and brackets from Scarebird brakes. 

A buddy of mine and I have used S10 rotors and calipers mounts to a 5" drop front axle for his '35 Ford. So this is not as far fetched an idea as it sounds. The key is finding a spindle to accept the disc rotor and mount the caliper and mount it to your front end.  I see nothing wrong with Poncho Jon's set-up.

Thank you for your response. I ended making a set coils work by cutting them to desired height. also will look into crankshaft coalition . let you all know soon. back to work in progress

Interested to know what  your front  ride height is.  I see you have a big block in your car. What kind of issues, if any, did you have stuffing it in their. What did you do with your steering.

14 hours ago, breaknik said:

Thank you for your response. I ended making a set coils work by cutting them to desired height. also will look into crankshaft coalition . let you all know soon. back to work in progress

I know cutting coils is an old hot rodder's trick to lower a car to the desire height but ride/suspension travel can suffer too. If that doesn't work out for you, you might want to consider calling Eaton Spring and having a custom set of coils made. Yes it is more money than free but you may enjoy the ride more. Food for thought. You car - your wallet - your call.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 13 inches at bottom of front bumper to ground. And 16 at rear bumper to ground.  car has a fair ride but still can be better I think. A little stiff. Rear has air shocks and I want to play around with the air pressure a little. To answer Frosty …. I had a hard time finding the right springs that would just fit right in everyone kept telling me that the ones they had would fit only to find that they were to small or to large etc. I found a moog book with the spring dimentions and ordered a set that was long and cut them down to fit. I already had a good idea of what I expected. Now to answer Poncho...…. I have 15 inch wheels H-78-15 rear and 710- 15 on front. wide white walls. I haven't done anything with the steering yet . Down the road I will do power steering and possibly air conditioning. Still correcting previous owner screw ups. have some wiring issues to correct , only basic wireing is working for now lights,brake lights charging system etc. as for stuffing the motor in, the previous owner had welded square tube as mounts for the front of engine wit 1/4 inch plate bolted to engine and square tube. He made a 2 inch square tube under the trans for a mount. so you see what kind of project this is becoming. with the engine hard mounted as I call it, it will give all the engine vibration as well as the road. I will get it done though. Just takes a little work and will be good. I have a pair of gas charged shocks I am going to try as well. I had thought about changing the rear end to give me an upgrade to rear disk from a s-10 but found that the s-10 had a narrower distance of around 5 inches between backing plates at least on the drum brake ones. still looking at the disk one this weekend. I am going to enjoy driving it as it is till I stockpile what I need to change one fubar at a time. Sorry about the long post and work got in my way in communicating till now. back at it for now will keep u posted how each phase turns out. Thanks all of you for your insight, and advise.