Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

73 Pontiac Grandville convertible

I have a 1973 Pontiac Grandville convertible I got from a friend..... It is in rough shape and I can't find any numbers on the engine and I do know it's a V8 and I was wanting to know if I could get some insight as to what size engine the car has.... I am thinking it's a big block 455 and I was also needing some info on some possible sites that you can enter the VIN to find out more on the car.... It is kind of a odd VIN number I thought they was supposed to be 17 digits but my VIN is 13 digits long ....Any help with these issues would be great.... And thanks in advance...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You are in luck. Pontiac Historical Service (PHS) Online can help. Pontiac is one of the few GM marks were most of the build records still exist. For a fee of $75 and your vehicle's VIN #, you can get all the information about how your Grandville was built, what options it had, and a copy of the original window sticker.

The website is: http://www.phs-online.com/

Now as far as the motor, I will bet you have a 400 or 455. Starting in 1969, Pontiac cast the engine displacement on the block. You should see a 400 or 455 on it, either between the freeze plugs or near the motor mounts.

FYI.....Pontiac never had a big block/small block program. All their engines were externally the same size, all their engine sizes varied with different bores and crank strokes. That was unique in GM. That's why it was so easy to replace a 326 and put in a 389 in 1964 to turn a Tempest Lemans into a GTO with virtually no changes.