Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Have a 71 Pontiac LeMans Sport Convertible that needs from the ground up restoration but I have all the parts. I don’t have time to restore it myself. Would it pay to sell it as is or part it out? What do you think it would be valued at $$$???

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

You say it needs a ground up restoration. How bad is it? Pictures help by the way. If it is a complete rust bucket then parting it out may be the way to go.

The nice thing is it is a convertible, so as the expression goes, "if the top goes down the price goes up." Consider this. There were 40,941 Lemans Sports build in 1971. Of those, only 3,865 were convertibles.

The selling price always comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it. So assuming that the car is rough, but not in a rotted out condition, I'd say $8-12k plus the value of your additional parts is a probably a good starting point. Mind you, this is a guess based on your comments. THe better the actual condition, the higher the price should go.

Edited by Frosty

4 hours ago, Frosty said:

You say it needs a ground up restoration. How bad is it? Pictures help by the way. If it is a complete rust bucket then parting it out may be the way to go.

The nice thing is it is a convertible, so as the expression goes, "if the top goes down the price goes up." Consider this. There were 40,941 Lemans Sports build in 1971. Of those, only 3,865 were convertibles.

The selling price always comes down to what someone is willing to pay for it. So assuming that the car is rough, but not in a rotted out condition, I'd say $8-12k plus the value of your additional parts is a probably a good starting point. Mind you, this is a guess based on your comments. THe better the actual condition, the higher the price should go.

Thank you for your reply. I live in Northern New Jersey. Would it be best to advertise in local Pontiac club’s newsletter or Ebay?

Pontiac clubs (both Pontiac Oakland Club international-POCI and GTO Association of America-GTOAA), your local auto swapper magazines, eBay is certainly an option. Some people have fixed feelings about posting on Craigslist, so that is your choice. Auto Trader.com is another possibility. Plus your local newspapers - even if they are printed 1-3 per week.

Typically POCI and GTOAA have monthly national or local chapter publications, so you have to meet whatever their deadlines are for publications. Local auto swappers are usually weekly. Your local newspaper have their particular schedule - whatever it may be.

Craigslist, eBay, and Auto Trader.com are all strictly online.

So you have choices on how to spread the word on your Lemans Sport convertible.