Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Oldmanvette IS IN THE HOUSE

I'm currently using my pool cover pump to keep the trap in the basement floor from filling with water. It is seeping into it from under the foundation of the house. The pump is manual so I have to turn it on and off as needed. Its not strong enough to pump the water from the basement out the window which is about a 6 foot lift so I'm pumping into the washing machine and putting it on spin cycle to empty it when it gets filled. I'll probably be doing this all night. I went to Home Depot to see if they had any sump pumps but got laughed out of the store. I was told all the sump pumps (automatic shutoff) and generators were gone by noon today :agreed:

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Founders

Just be glad you don't live in Florida, ALL streets flood with every storm and my neighborhood's streets literally become lakes with any rain. Seriously I've thought about getting a barge just to put my car on to get out of my neighborhood :agreed: .

Long Island, NY is the same way. The ground just doesn't absorb the rain water fast enough, we get floods like crazy. I just don't want Stealth becoming a submarine. :agreed:

NJ coastline is the same way...Floods real easy. This is a once every 10 year event. The only way we would get 6 inches of rain in a day or two is with a summer time hurricane and we're overdue for one of those!! Actually its just about the same as a hurricane as the wind gusts have hit 68 MPH tonight!!!

The rain is starting to let up now but the wind is still blowing pretty good out there. In the past hour there was a gust of 70 MPH in Keansberg, NJ!!! The lights blink on and off every now and then but we have been lucky so far.

I'm still getting seepage into the trap in the basement and will probably be bailing all night. I hope that the rain will lighten up enough tomorrow so I can open the trap and let it drain that way. Right now if I open the trap I'll have a geyser with water gushing in from the storm drain.

:) wow. jus let me know if you need me to come get my Vette...uh i mean your Vette. :rofl:

The rain is starting to let up now but the wind is still blowing pretty good out there. In the past hour there was a gust of 70 MPH in Keansberg, NJ!!! The lights blink on and off every now and then but we have been lucky so far.

I'm still getting seepage into the trap in the basement and will probably be bailing all night. I hope that the rain will lighten up enough tomorrow so I can open the trap and let it drain that way. Right now if I open the trap I'll have a geyser with water gushing in from the storm drain.

I was up all night bailing and using the wet vac. I went to bed at 8 AM this morning when the wife took over for me. I was able to open the trap so the water would drain by itself and as I did that, the wall behind the water heater started to flow water!!! Still using the wet vac this evening about every hour or so to dry the water by the wall. We got off easy from what some other folks in this area got hit with. My neighbor got a tree crew by late this afternoon to cut the tree down that was leaning on their roof!!! According to the weather channel, we got almost 6 inches of rain in total with wind gusts to 70 MPH, just like a hurricane!!!

Wow! :D That's worse then some of the hurricanes I've encountered. That sucks, how much damaged was done by it?

There are over 200,000 people without electricity. Many roads closed due to flooding and trees down. Commuter train lines not running due to debris and trees on the tracks. Six people have been killed, mostly by being hit by falling trees. Houses being blown off their foundations and split in half by falling trees. River flooding at higher levels than ever seen before. I'm older than most folks on this site and it's the worst I've ever been through. In NYC there were so many people calling the "911" system that they got a recorded message "Due to call volume, please hold on for the next available operator". Not what you want to hear if someone is breaking into your house. The fire siren in my town was going off all day long. They covered more calls in one day than they usually do in 2 months!!!

The rain were getting is so crazy.... im about to build an arc.

The big stream at my work is now a river and its about a foot away from cresting. Also my parking lot where I live half of it is under 8+ inches of water.

;)

good luck with your basement!