Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Hello everyone does anyone know how to adjust the hood hinges on my Grand prix?

I have it lined up so when you pull the release the hood pops up easily

but it feels like I need a fork lift to open it up the rest of the way

This hood is so long that there has to be some trick with the hinges to balance the weight for easy opening.

Good news, after not running for about 15 years  I put some Sea foam in the cylinders let soak for a week, started it and had no blowby

which made me very happy

Thanks for reading my post and a good day to you all

Mark

• Like 2

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Its the rusty and dirty hinged pivots on each one that are the problem.  Try some Deep Creep lubricant on the joints of each hinge. But here's the risk - if either hinge jams up tight while you are closing the hood, you will break the strong braces in the hood that run down each edge - the break will occur at about the halfway point between the front and the back.    

I can send you pictures of this happening to the hood on my 70 El Camino before I got it.  Hoods are expensive to buy and even more expensive to ship.

I'd suggest getting both of your original hinges rebuilt because I don't trust the aftermarket repop hinges.  There are places that do this kind of work.

Rick

• Like 2

Thanks for answering my post, I tried the oil and it helped a lot.

I will think about having the hinges rebuilt late spring when it"s warmer

Thanks again     Mark

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...