Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Grand Prix DOD/AFM oil burning causing damage?

Hey y'all,

I have a 2008 Grand Prix GXP V8, and for the year I've owned her I've noticed on the freeway she tends to release large poofs of white/grey smoke out the exhaust, but only intermittently.

She guzzles oil, and the coolant is full, so I'm fairly confident she's just burning oil.

After doing some research, it looks like a common issue Grand Prix's of her year have is the displacement on demand system can cause her to guzzle up and burn oil.

Now, I've been leaving that system on because gas costs an absolute fortune, so every drop I can save is a worthwhile expense, but I'm also worried that this bad design for a DOD could be causing damage to the engine. Is that the case?

As in, I know its normal for engines to burn oil, and typically such wont cause any problems, but will allowing this much oil to get burned on the daily cause any problems in the long run? (She's my daily driver, so I'm on the freeway and seeing this every day). Aka, would it be worth the extra cost in gas to keep from causing more expensive problems later on? Or is there no real risk in letting her burn oil like this?

I should note I have a tuner, so it's not a big deal to disable the DOD.

Thanks

Edited by JSPitman
  • Sad 1

• JSPitman changed the title to Grand Prix DOD/AFM oil burning causing damage?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

20 hours ago, JSPitman said:

Hey y'all,

I have a 2008 Grand Prix GXP V8, and for the year I've owned her I've noticed on the freeway she tends to release large poofs of white/grey smoke out the exhaust, but only intermittently.

She guzzles oil, and the coolant is full, so I'm fairly confident she's just burning oil.

After doing some research, it looks like a common issue Grand Prix's of her year have is the displacement on demand system can cause her to guzzle up and burn oil.

Now, I've been leaving that system on because gas costs an absolute fortune, so every drop I can save is a worthwhile expense, but I'm also worried that this bad design for a DOD could be causing damage to the engine. Is that the case?

As in, I know its normal for engines to burn oil, and typically such wont cause any problems, but will allowing this much oil to get burned on the daily cause any problems in the long run? (She's my daily driver, so I'm on the freeway and seeing this every day). Aka, would it be worth the extra cost in gas to keep from causing more expensive problems later on? Or is there no real risk in letting her burn oil like this?

I should note I have a tuner, so it's not a big deal to disable the DOD.

Thanks

There are several issues/problems with the LS4 V8. The first to be concerned with is the burning of oil will poison the cat! Causing it to fail, AKA quit working.

What you might consider doing. 1. Replace the PCV valve just as a precautionary measure. In the 5.3 these have been an issue. 2. Do a leak down compression check of all cylinders, not a momentary rotational one. A leak down test tells you a lot more about ring condition. 5.3 are known for having a problem with ring tension. 

• Like 1