Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

How To: Push Notifications on iOS / Android

• Founders

With the latest release of our community software and Apple finally allowing for push notifications for Progressive Web Apps (PWA), I wanted to create an announcement here of how to do this. 

The skinny on what PWA is - plainly put it lives somewhere between a phone app and a web browser. There are nice features like push notifications, background syncing, an icon that lives on your home screen that goes directly to our site, etc... which are app-like features but it all works off of our website code so we do not need to support many versions of our website but you get the advantages of having an app on your devices. Plainly put, it's a win-win for everyone!

For those that do not know what a Push Notification is, it is like when you get an email and a notification shows up on your phone. When you click that notification, your phone takes you to the email. We now have that for our community! So exciting! Any notification you can receive here on the site can be done via a push notification to your phone so you're always in the know about anything you want.

Now how do you do this? The instructions vary depending on device but see below for Apple iOS and Android:

Apple iOS:

1. In Safari, browse to our website https://foreverpontiac.com 
  2. Click the "Share icon" (looks like an up arrow)
  3. Click "Add to home screen"
  4. You're all set.

Quick video here:

Android:

1. On your Android device, open Chrome .
  2. Go to a website with a PWA that you want to install.
  3. Tap Install.
  4. Follow the on-screen instructions.

Can see this website for further devices/PCs: https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-use-progressive-web-apps

Once you have that setup on your device, ensure you're logged in and then at the link below, scroll all the way down to the headline "Notification Types Available" -> Under "Push" -> click "Enable this browser":

https://foreverpontiac.com/notifications/options/

Please let me know here or in our Contact Us form if you have any questions!

• Thanks 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Question Ringo .... these notifications,,, will it notify me even when members just "like" a post ? 

because if it does that will be a pita.... as i have this thing where i will put smiley faces next to any post i like..( that would be hundreds of post per year ) . then all the members would get my spam ! :rofl:

• Haha 1

• Founders
27 minutes ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

Question Ringo .... these notifications,,, will it notify me even when members just "like" a post ? 

because if it does that will be a pita.... as i have this thing where i will put smiley faces next to any post i like..( that would be hundreds of post per year ) . then all the members would get my spam ! :rofl:

Completely configurable for reactions! If people like to get that notification when someone else likes it, more power to them!

I May need to change my settings 😂

IMG_4378.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Ringo64 unfeatured this topic