Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

J J Web's 1967 Lemans

2024 May
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

New member - will need lots of help

Good morning all, 

Well maybe a mid-life crisis scenario, but last night I bought a 62 Bonneville 4dr, with the plan restore it as best I can. Completely out of my comfort zone, love cars, but no nothing about anything, hence the will need lot's of help. Seems a pretty solid car (had the wife's cousin check it out), some minor rust, but all there including, engine and drive train, body panels, interior, trim.

Have decided to nickname it lucky, lucky to find it, lucky to get it on the not so great trailer, and lucky to make it back to the storage location without it falling off said trailer. 

Obviously will know more once it is down to bare metal, but the trunk lid and hood may need replacing, can't find much on replacements for the Bonneville, but the 62 Catalina looks very similar to my untrained eye, am I correct?

Many thanks in advance!! 

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

:welcomeFP:

We're happy to help you in your journey with your Bonnie! First things first though, got any pics of the Bonnie? We ❤ pics here :) 

• Like 1

• Founders

Wouldn't laugh. Looks like you got some work cut out for you on the body. Are you going for showroom quality or other plans?

• Like 1

Only LAUGHING cause I found myself drooling on the key board.!!  Great find.  Welcome to the site.  Chat it up with us in the forum.

• Like 2

Thanks for the welcome, it was funny the two guys who helped me pick up are GTO, Camaro and Charger guys, and they were kinda looking sideways at 'Lucky' as I have named her, then while I was at Home Depot trying to pick up some 2x8s to replace the ramps we had bent trying to get it on the trailer.... 4 people stopped to ask about it..... I think it is a cool looking car, hopefully I can do it justice. 

But on my original question do you know is the 62 Catalina hood and trunk lid fit the 62 Bonneville?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Untalented_Amateur said:

No laughing!! :)

Screenshot_20210506-100646__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210506-100652__01__01.jpg

Screenshot_20210506-100657__01__01.jpg

way cool project 👍

way cool project !!! 👍 what engine  /trans ??

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Untalented_Amateur said:

trans not sure, but it has the original 6.4L V8. it's not running right now, not sure if I want to try and get it refurbed and updated, or go for a new crate motor. 

Not quite that simple and no matter what $$$.  62 will probably be Glide trans and the starter is mounted to the trans.  Not a bad option to rebuild the motor.  Crate motor will include a price with a whole new trans.  See where your starter is mounted, should be on driver side.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Untalented_Amateur said:

But on my original question do you know is the 62 Catalina hood and trunk lid fit the 62 Bonneville?

frosty may know if the catalina is the same ... i think it should be being a wide tracker????

• Like 1

You're a sick man Kiwi, but you speak the truth.

As you know, I'm going to stop fulltime work August 2022 and when I told my missus, she couldn't hide the horror of the thought of me being home 24/7. So I approached my site manager and asked about working perhaps 3 days a week remotely after next August, and he was happy with that. I told her and the wave of relief washed over her. Jeezus, I mean she keeps coming home, right? I'm pretty sure I'm not the beer swilling sex mad pig that she imagines.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Fitzy said:

Oh, and to Untalented Amateur, your car looks only slightly worse than the bucket of bolts I picked up and after pouring tens of thousands of dollars into it, it is now a mechanically better bucket of bolts. Your journey has only just started. Grab a beer, walk around the car and let your imagination take over. Look at it from all angles (glug, glug, glug) now sit inside it and smell the rich perfume of water ingress and mouldy vinyl (glug, glug, glug) now grasp the steering wheel and imagine a mountain of supercharger poking out of the hood (glug, glug, glug.)

It's now midnight,  your wife is on Tinder looking for alternatives, you're out of beer and you have to work in the morning.

Welcome to our murky world!

life of a happy man!!! :bowdown:

• Haha 1