Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

FBIRD69's 1969 Firebird

2024 March
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

lost communication with PCM
hello everyone im new to this forum an i was hoping i could get some help i recently bought a 99 Pontiac firebird for a 1000 changed the battery drove it for a while then parked it till i got parts for it eventually i got plugs oil general tune up things and new rear end performed the tune up and changed the rear end out drove it for a while and parked it so i could get it legal sat for a few days went out to start it and it wouldn't start the only code it was throwing wat for the throttle body so i found one changed it out tried starting it nothing scanned it same code but also had a code for the app module (one on the throttle pedal) so i changed them out code for the throttle body went away but not for the module on the throttle so before i change the module i scan it and it comes back lost communication with pcm so i change out the module on the throttle scan it and the code for it is gone now but the only code that is left is the communication with the pcm is there any way to fic this with out having to buy a plug and play one programmed to my vin and if there isn't a way to fix it is there an advantage to getting a plug and play pcm for my car they are like 140

before i bought the car
car had 120xxx miles on it
sat for around 2 to 3 years original owner said he would start it every now and then
have all documents of maintenance with nothing showing that any major work had to be done besides tune ups and alignments engine flushes etc.

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

hi Brightburn, my  thought would to reboot the pcm. disconnect the battery and wait a few minutes and reconnect it

Ensure that you dont have a poor battery connection too :cheers: so check both positive and negative terminals along with where the earth mounts to the body and motor

• Like 2

i bought a new battery after i got the car the following day but ill check them and where is the earth mount on the body i believe there is a ground in the engine bay but idk if thats it

i honnestly havent been messing with it lately just hve been trying to find solutions but thankyou kiwi anything helps

• Like 2

i guess the thing with any automotive problems is KISS ( keep it simple stupid) :rofl:

Do the basics first and then start spending money... you would be surprised how many times its a very simple fix.:cheers:

2 minutes ago, BrightBurn said:

this is the code im getting i believe

U1016

No Communication With Power-train Control Module

too cold right now to go out there and hook the battery up 

google it mate... 

• Like 1

true true lol ive probably been overthinking it too much lol and i appreciate the advice kiwi ill take what you said and ill take a look at it tomorrow hopefully thats the problem thanks brother

• Founders
8 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

guess the thing with any automotive problems is KISS ( keep it simple stupid) :rofl:

Do the basics first and then start spending money... you would be surprised how many times its a very simple fix.:cheers:

As a software engineer I relate my knowledge there to cars. Have you tried turning off and on again? Fixes so many technology problems :lol: 

• Haha 1

lol ringo trust me ive tried that several times even sweettalked her the whole time lol the sweet talking only worked once lol then she said f that and merry Christmas ringo and kiwi yall are pretty cool

• Haha 2

im currently looking at the pin connections for the pcm and they arent the same the blue connecter is there but the wiring isnt correct or the color wire im looking for isnt in the harness as for the red connector for the pcm its not even there mine is a clear connector in its place and the wires on it arent in the right place and some arent even there and im afraid to try to re pin them my self in fault that i might mess it up idk if mine has just been changed or its a earlier model on the title its a 99 but on the door jam its a 98 10\98 infact or maybe i just have the wrong pin out chart