Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

347 distributor

I am looking for a cable drive distributor to run my tachometer, its a 347 pontiac engine in a 1958 gmc suburban, Will any gm distributor work?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

No, you need a Pontiac specific distributor. A Chevy SBC distributor won't work for your Suburban. Pontiac V8 distributors spin counter clockwise compared to a Chevy. Therefore the cam gear is cut in reverse, and the distributor height is different.

Is your tach an original in-dash unit or an aftermarket piece?

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 10:51 AM, Frosty said:

No, you need a Pontiac specific distributor. A Chevy SBC distributor won't work for your Suburban. Pontiac V8 distributors spin counter clockwise compared to a Chevy. Therefore the cam gear is cut in reverse, and the distributor height is different.

Is your tach an original in-dash unit or an aftermarket piece?

it is an indash factory unit ,and do you know were to get one? thank you for your input.

I know certain Mallary 2658001 dual point distributors for a Pontiac engine have a mechanical tach drive but you have to look carefully at the distributor . I am still looking for the oem Delco unit too. I will keep looking though.

Any chance that there is an OER reproduction tach that is electric driven that you can swap out in the dash and go with a more convention distributor? Small block Chevy/Corvette mechanical tach distributors are much more popular and plentiful than Pontiac tach drive distributors these days (I am sure you know that).

Delco Remy distributor 1110925 will work. Be warned, it is stupid expensive on eBay because it is the correct distributor for the uber-rare fuel injected Bonneville. So you may want to shy away from it from a price perspective unless you can find it reasonably.

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1