Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Jack and Jack Stand weight limit

Go to solution Solved by Last Indian,

• Founders

The jack and jack stands I've been using are 3 ton weight capacity. These I've "inherited/gifted" more or less from my dad. Both my cars are under 2 tons so always thought that was at least fine for the most part. After reading about some of these harbor freight recalled brands (mine are not), was reading up on a few things online and they were mentioning making sure your jack stand can handle double your car weight so if your car weighs 2 tons, it should 4 tons. Is that good advice or sticking with 3 tons fine?

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

1 hour ago, Ringo64 said:

The jack and jack stands I've been using are 3 ton weight capacity. These I've "inherited/gifted" more or less from my dad. Both my cars are under 2 tons so always thought that was at least fine for the most part. After reading about some of these harbor freight recalled brands (mine are not), was reading up on a few things online and they were mentioning making sure your jack stand can handle double your car weight so if your car weighs 2 tons, it should 4 tons. Is that good advice or sticking with 3 tons fine?

Good question Ringo! Depends on a number of factors. First are they tripods or four sided? Stamped steel or cast aluminum! Ratchet tooth or shear pin? If stamped steel do you know what gage or can you measure the thickness of the steel?

Finally, do you use them to just change tires & oil or do you do more vigorous work under the car?

Additionally I should include that each stand supports 3 ton. So say you have 4 stands & put the entire car in the air you are supporting, as an example, 2 ton with 12 ton! If we divide the car in quarters each quarter weighs approximately 1/2 a ton. Which is being supported by a 3 ton jack stand!

Edited by Last Indian
  • Like 1

• Founders
1 hour ago, Last Indian said:

First are they tripods or four sided? Stamped steel or cast aluminum! Ratchet tooth or shear pin? If stamped steel do you know what gage or can you measure the thickness of the steel?

Four sided. 

Steel.

Ratchet

I'll need to measure when I get a sec.

I believe this is what I got: http://www.torinjacksusa.com/bigred/bigred-categories/bigred-jack-stands/item/3-ton-jack-stands.html

Finally, do you use them to just change tires & oil or do you do more vigorous work under the car?

Mainly just oil, tires, and small things. Not much vigorous activity.

Additionally I should include that each stand supports 3 ton. So say you have 4 stands & put the entire car in the air you are supporting, as an example, 2 ton with 12 ton! If we divide the car in quarters each quarter weighs approximately 1/2 a ton. Which is being supported by a 3 ton jack stand!

This is more or less my thoughts too. Essentially, the weight is being divided (hopefully) proportionally in the car to each stand so the whole weight of the car wasn't on one stand. The more I read online, the more I questioned my own sanity :lol: 

Thanks for the help!

• Founders
4 hours ago, Last Indian said:

Those are excellent jack stands! More than sufficient for even a 4000 lb car like my Lacrosse’s. The only thing I get concerned about with all of those types of jack stands are the top footprint. It’s conducive if there is a channel to place in the V groove of the top part of the jack or a good flat portion of frame, which today most cars don’t have! 

So I made my own many years age out of 3” pipe and pipe flanges! Very very stable & very strong! Still what you have is good!

9FAB0B33-5EF8-4240-AA4E-2BBFB7BE5CAE.jpeg

So good to hear!!! Thanks bud!