Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

2006 G6 GT stopped for want of gas when gas guage says not empty

My 2006 G6 GT (coupe) stopped while running and I felt when it stopped the gas was over. When it stopped heard that sound, you know, which comes when gas was over while running. Weirdly my gas guage showed there was still quarter of the tank or so. There was no low gas warning light or any chimes. Tried cranking up the car few times but no luck. Fortunately for me, my car stopped near to gas station. I had to with the help of some guys get the car into nearby parking lot. Got some gas from the gas pump and tried to crank up the car and boom it started. Not sure why the fuel guage behaved like this? Anyone faced this kind of problem? Should I take it to a GM service or any service guy can root cause it and be able to fix?

Thanks in advance.

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Sounds like a simple sensor issue. Float might be off calibration, or the resistor issue. Since you obviously have a computer dampened gauge (So it doesn't bounce around when the fuel sloshes) it could be sending the wrong signal aswell. You might want to get the sensor system within the tank checked out first.

yes it showed full. I bought a gallon gas in a container. My Car started with that, took it to the gas station and when I filled up for full tank it showed me 15.5 gallons filled. So that confirmed me that it was gas that caused the car to stop.

Bring it to a local mechanic or dealership and tell them your issue, they will most likely look at the tanks sensors first. The wiper arm inside the sender is grounded through the tank itself. A lack of proper conductivity, will throw the gauge off, which would show a lower gas level than actual I believe.

There is another ground in the dash and if there is improper connectivity it will cause extra resistance which would cause the gauge to read higher than normal. Happened to my buddy's truck, the needle wouldn't drop past the half way point.

But I know nothing about the sensor system in a G6 lol