Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Finally got all the automobile BS done that ganged up on me several months ago. Granddaughters new beetle convert is finally done, found and fixed the heavy rattle on my wifes Lexus RS, I am just going to sell the SL for what I have invested trying to get it running or part it out, replaced the park brake cable on the truck, got the engine back together on the Catalina (thanks Comp cams NOT) So I am finally going to dive into the Wilwood brakes but I am looking for a front spindle. I want to bolt it to the welding table. It will simplify the fabrication of all the brackets and not disable the Indian while I am building the system. Problem is I can't find one. Have tried all the usual sources, Franks in so cal, Fatman, Ebay, google and no luck. It does not even need to be a usable spindle, if it has a chewed up spindle from a bearing burn out or whatever I can still use it for a mock up.

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Here are some more suggestions. No idea if you will have any better luck but might be worth a try:

Desert Valley Auto Parts - https://www.dvap.com/

East West Auto Parts - Tulsa OK 

Address: 4605 Dawson Rd, Tulsa, OK 74115

Phone: (918) 832-7077

Memory Lane Junkyard - Penn Valley CA    Phone: 818-504-3341   Tollfree:  800-281-9273

Turner's Auto Wrecking - Fresno CA      http://www.turnersautowrecking.com/

Big M Automotive Classic Car Dismantler - Williams CA      http://www.bigmauto.com/

West Coast Autowrecking - Montclair CA - http://www.westcoastautowreckinginc.com/

Edited by Frosty
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Finally got all the automobile BS done that ganged up on me several months ago. Granddaughters new beetle convert is finally done, found and fixed the heavy rattle on my wifes Lexus RS, I am just going to sell the SL for what I have invested trying to get it running or part it out, replaced the park brake cable on the truck, got the engine back together on the Catalina (thanks Comp cams NOT) So I am finally going to dive into the Wilwood brakes but I am looking for a front spindle. I want to bolt it to the welding table. It will simplify the fabrication of all the brackets and not disable the Indian while I am building the system. Problem is I can't find one. Have tried all the usual sources, Franks in so cal, Fatman, Ebay, google and no luck. It does not even need to be a usable spindle, if it has a chewed up spindle from a bearing burn out or whatever I can still use it for a mock up.

Any suggestions?

Kiwi???  Should have the one from the wrecked side. If he kept it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JUSTA6 said:

Kiwi???  Should have the one from the wrecked side. If he kept it.

sure do !!! have the whole rolling frame sitting on my lawn!

but i was going to drop the spare body back on it so it was moveable... Dwight i will ask my mate who i got the spare car off if he has a spare, does it matter what side? pretty sure 63 and 64 are the same spinals 

Edited by 64 kiwi boni
  • Like 2

Kiwi thanks for the offer but frosty's list yielded results. One guy called back has a 63 Catalina and Bonneville. Have one on the way, when I get all the brake brackets done I will just put it on ebay and get my money back.

I will be posting the build on the forum in case someone wants to go the Wilwood route.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Kiwi thanks for the offer but frosty's list yielded results. One guy called back has a 63 Catalina and Bonneville. Have one on the way, when I get all the brake brackets done I will just put it on ebay and get my money back.

I will be posting the build on the forum in case someone wants to go the Wilwood route.

So which place had the golden part?

Frosty,

I honestly don't know at this point. I left messages with those that did not pick up the phone and about 4 hours later one of them called back to tell me that they had the part. I did not ask any questions just gave them a card number and called it a day. I will let you know when the part gets here if you want to know.

Kiwi,

As memory serves the 8 luggers have a shoe that is a half inch wider than the standard. My problem with the drum brakes was that when stopping you never knew which way they were going to dive. Had the drums resurfaced tried two different sets of shoes one bonded one riveted and never did cure it. I have a substandard disc kit I found on ebay that does not work as well as the drum brakes but at least it stops straight. I am careful not to get too close to whatever is in front of me. My experience with  Wilwood is that it should not take too much pedal pressure to lock up all 4 so I will need to learn to drive all over again.

55 minutes ago, Old guy44 said:

Frosty,

I honestly don't know at this point. I left messages with those that did not pick up the phone and about 4 hours later one of them called back to tell me that they had the part. I did not ask any questions just gave them a card number and called it a day. I will let you know when the part gets here if you want to know.

Works for me Dwight. How soon are you getting the part? Did they tell you that? A week?

2 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Frosty,

Kiwi,

As memory serves the 8 luggers have a shoe that is a half inch wider than the standard. My problem with the drum brakes was that when stopping you never knew which way they were going to dive. Had the drums resurfaced tried two different sets of shoes one bonded one riveted and never did cure it. I have a substandard disc kit I found on ebay that does not work as well as the drum brakes but at least it stops straight. I am careful not to get too close to whatever is in front of me. My experience with  Wilwood is that it should not take too much pedal pressure to lock up all 4 so I will need to learn to drive all over again.

yip thats what my 59 plymouth would do !! and i found it was the old drum going out of round! only way to fix that was to replace the drum! ... might as well go discs and get a way safer braking system, plus adding a new master cylinder with split circuits to make it even safer. 

i will be super interested in your project... justA in case the 64 does whats been happening to you 63 !!👍 

Frosty next week some time. Let you know as soon as it gets here. I should call Wilwood to see if they have everything I need in stock. Last time I talked to them they did not have the rear kit in stock. I have not been down there so haven't seen it myself but I have heard from more than one person that there are container ships anchored outside the Port of Los Angeles almost all the way to Catalina. So whatever you are looking for it is probably there somewhere.

a

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

16 hours ago, Old guy44 said:

Frosty next week some time. Let you know as soon as it gets here. I should call Wilwood to see if they have everything I need in stock. Last time I talked to them they did not have the rear kit in stock. I have not been down there so haven't seen it myself but I have heard from more than one person that there are container ships anchored outside the Port of Los Angeles almost all the way to Catalina. So whatever you are looking for it is probably there somewhere.

a

Why so many ships? COVID slowing down inspections? Or are we just trying to piss off the Chinese until they surround the chips we need for the automakers and virtually everything else?

It is my understanding that it started with the COVID shut down. My suspicion is that now in the Peoples Republic of California they are paying so many people to just sit on their ass that they can't find workers. I know that many other people I talk to are finding it hard to find employees

On 8/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

yip thats what my 59 plymouth would do !! and i found it was the old drum going out of round! only way to fix that was to replace the drum! ... might as well go discs and get a way safer braking system, plus adding a new master cylinder with split circuits to make it even safer. 

i will be super interested in your project... justA in case the 64 does whats been happening to you 63 !!👍 

Kiwi,

I ordered the brake parts they have everything but the rear rotors. They are hoping that they will be in by next Friday. Looks like the spindle and brake parts might be in around the same time. Cost was about $1800.00 which I did not think was that bad for a complete Wilwood system, front and rears with parking brake. That does not include master cylinder or booster. I changed that when I put on the current front discs, or shipping to New Zealand. It also does not include shipping because they are only about 30 miles from me.

4 minutes ago, Old guy44 said:

Kiwi,

I ordered the brake parts they have everything but the rear rotors. They are hoping that they will be in by next Friday. Looks like the spindle and brake parts might be in around the same time. Cost was about $1800.00 which I did not think was that bad for a complete Wilwood system, front and rears with parking brake. That does not include master cylinder or booster. I changed that when I put on the current front discs, or shipping to New Zealand. It also does not include shipping because they are only about 30 miles from me.

i think thats not bad either Dwight 👍, please post some pictures when you get the kits 👍

On 8/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Kiwi,

Just to be clear, the rear is a complete bolt on kit for the olds pontiac 9.3 drop out carrier. The front is just rotors and calipers I will need to build everything else. But I will lay everything out and take pictures with part numbers, and pictures with detailed size instructions of the front brake caliper mounts. If things get here as they are scheduled I will probably be starting next weekend.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2021 at 11:19 AM, Frosty said:

Works for me Dwight. How soon are you getting the part? Did they tell you that? A week?

Frosty,

The spindle just arrived, it came from Big M Automotive in Williams Ca. It looks like they drug it up out of a swamp but it should clean up and work fine.

• Like 1

So what you are saying Dwight is the car they drug it off of has been lying half buried up to the rockers in the dirt and mud for the last 30+ years. Probably the first time they've picked a part off of it in the last 10 years.

Thanks for the feedback though. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Frosty said:

So what you are saying Dwight is the car they drug it off of has been lying half buried up to the rockers in the dirt and mud for the last 30+ years. Probably the first time they've picked a part off of it in the last 10 years.

Thanks for the feedback though. 

Yes with the hub off. I just stuck it in my bucket of what they pass off as carburetor cleaner until the rest of the brake parts get here. Don't know how much good it will do but it can't hurt

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Another road block. My parts are ready for pickup at Wilwood but we were exposed to COVID this weekend and are quarantined for 10 days. I anticipate picking up the  parts as soon as I get the results from the COVID test if it turns out negative. I am not absolutely certain that  am not in trouble because it was the youngest daughter that came down with it on the 24th and she spent the whole weekend here. 

Tune in for the next episode.

• Sad 2