Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Fuel line / filter questions

Hello, 

I have some questions, and looking for some expert advise.  We have a '65 Catalina, and just had a carb rebuild (running great now).  When showing a friend under the hood, he said the fuel line from the pump to the carb did not look right.   Basically there is a rubber fuel line from the pump to the metal line that goes into the carburetor, with an inline filter in between.  Also, there is a short rubber line (~10") on the other side of the pump that connects the metal line from the tank to the pump.   The attached pictures will put this in perspective.

I looked at the shop manuals for the 65, and could find no reference to where the fuel filter should be located, or whether using rubber fuel lines in these locations is ok.   So, my questions are as follows:

1.  Is it ok to use the rubber line (the ~10" connection coming into the pump, and the line from the pump to the carb), or should all this be metal line?

2. Is the inline filter in the proper location, or should the filter be located elsewhere?

When I had the carb rebuilt, they didn't say anything, so I presume this is ok.  But, just wanting to get more educated and garner some knowledge from true Pontiac experts.  Any guidance you can provide is greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

JM

Fuel_Line1.png

Fuel_Line2.png

Fuel_Line3.png

• 2 weeks later...

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

Using an inline fuel filter has been done for years on Pontiacs and other makes of cars for years. In most cases, guys run see-thru filters rather than encased filters because they want to be able to see how dirty/trashy their filter or their gas really is. There is nothing wrong with an enclosed fuel filter. It comes down to personal preference.

If you are looking for how the fuel pump to the carb line came from the factory, in all likelihood, it was a solid line with a small fuel filter installed in the carb (assuming it was a Rochester carb).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info Frosty!   Much appreciated.   In terms of the line from the pump to the carb, I was more thinking from a safety perspective.  i.e. using the rubber fuel line vs. a metal line.  

Since you indicated that using an inline fuel filter has been common use for years, I presume using the rubber fuel line is perfectly fine from a safety perspective.  Can you confirm?

Thanks again!

JM

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

The line from carb to the pump is pressurized with gasoline. If it leaks, it can spray fuel onto your starter, alternator, plug wire, etc and burn you and your car to the ground. Every car I have ever seen from the factory has metal lines from the carb to pump. If the suction line leaks to the tank, it just quits pumping fuel. So, Frosty is giving some very bad advice based on others that have done it wrong  many times. If the line never leaks, it might be ok. Even the NHRA limits the amount of rubber fuel line a car can have and race. This includes steel braided lines. This is for fire safety.

Many car fires are caused by leaking rubber hoses. In a claim I investigated, a drunk patron returned to his truck and passed out with his foot on the accelerator while in park. The engine screamed but no one wanted to break a window of another's car. The alternator got hot enough to fail and dripped hot metal directly on the truck owners altered rubber fuel line. The resulting hole sprayed gas directly behind the reved up fan. Igniting and resulting in an inferno that killed the owner and burnt the truck to the ground.

Those metal lines are there for a reason. The carb has a place for an internal filter. Use rubber lines in very short sections to connect metal lines together, or for emergencies. Otherwise, spend the 20 bucks to replace the line with steel.