Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

Jack Leslie's 1957 Sedan Delivery

2024 April
of the Month

• Rev up your passion for Pontiacs and join our vibrant community of enthusiasts!

Whether you're a die-hard fan of classic muscle cars or you've got a soft spot for sleek modern models, you've found your home here at Forever Pontiac. Our community is dedicated to celebrating everything Pontiac, from the iconic GTO to the legendary Firebird and everything in between.

Unlock access to expert advice, stunning photo galleries, engaging discussions, exclusive events, and more!

Start your Pontiac journey with us today!

Pedestrian deaths reach 30-year high in 2019

FeedBot

Honda safety demonstrationPedestrian deaths caused by drivers increased 50% in the past decade, according to a report released last month from the Governors Highway Safety Association. Moreover, the 6,590 pedestrian deaths forecast for 2019 represents a 5% spike from 2018, and is the highest number of deaths in more than 30 years, when there were far fewer passenger...

View the full article

Tired of these Ads? Register Today!

• Founders

Five states accounted for nearly half of all pedestrian fatalities in the first six months of 2019: California, Arizona, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Warmer states are likely to have more pedestrians. 

The latter 4 states also have a very high percentage of snow birds. Living in FL, I am not surprised. 

Last month, I was almost hit twice in 2 different cross walks (where I had right of way) by the same car, heading into a restaurant.

I find it interesting that the article has to state the obvious about fatalities between SUVs and cars. Mass times velocity is the key point here. You are just as dead if you are hit hard enough.

Not once did any of the facts indicate steps that pedestrians need to take to increase their awareness / safety. The emphasis is more on the improving infrastructure and vehicles. Not the people. Hmmm...I think the author is missing that key part of the point. 

What the article fails to indicate is what percentage of these fatalities does the pedestrian contribute to his/her death (e.g. - by not paying attention, wearing dark or  black clothing at night, etc.)? Any death is tragic to be sure. However, public education for BOTH drivers and pedestrians is needed here. Reliance just on technology is a bad thing. Reliance on driver education ignores the other half of the this tragic scenario.

• Like 2