Forums Gone... but not forgotten!
Pontiac of the Month

31pontiac's 1959 Bonneville

2022 November
of the Month

• Welcome!

Welcome to Forever Pontiac, where we keep the memory of Pontiac alive with great discussion, maintenance tips, restoration/modification progression "blogs" and help from professional & DIY mechanics. Also, wonderful competitions that occur regularly. Please register for an absolutely free account to join in!

WTB: 57 Star Chief Steering Wheel

Would like to buy a nice original (or restored) black or white steering wheel for my 57 Star Chief.  Not interested in one that has to be restored, since I already have one of those.  LOL

• Haha 1

• Ringo64 changed the title to WTB: 57 Star Chief Steering Wheel

the one thing i am going to do is get my upholstery guy to make me a nice leather lace up rim cover... i kinda like cow hide steering wheels...it justA has a nice feel. as opposed to manufactured plastic steering wheels :cheers:

• Like 1

I'm with Kiwi on this one. That is a very repairable wheel. It just takes some time and patience.

• Like 1

That is classy looking steering wheel bro. Can wait to see pics of your progress!

• Like 2

Jerry, you are a braver man than I am. I had this with my '56 Bel Air wheel, but I sent it away to be repaired and painted. It lasted the 10 years I had the car, and still looked like a new wheel when I sold her. Was expensive though if I recall.

On 1/5/2022 at 11:39 AM, 64 kiwi boni said:

Thats one nice looking Wheel Russel👍

Thanks, it feels nice to when driving, not too small, but not large like the standard one, especially as I have power steering.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, 64 kiwi boni said:

yip i for one certainly agree with JustA :cheers:

i am interested in how Jerry gets on with the jb weld... i have never sanded it before... it may work very well being so hard!!🙄

I used JB Weld to fill in the hole in the middle of my wife's mixing bowl, which used to have a blender through the bottom, as she liked the glass bowl to use. After filling the hole in (about ½" diameter) over several times, I then ground it smooth with some grinding stones in my cordless drill until they were super smooth to touch. This was five years ago and it's still going strong.

1175147623_Unnamedattachment(Medium).thumb.jpeg.b9ad51866642d1cf12febb88a82cc09b.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KiwiStarChief said:

I used JB Weld to fill in the hole in the middle of my wife's mixing bowl, which used to have a blender through the bottom, as she liked the glass bowl to use. After filling the hole in (about ½" diameter) over several times, I then ground it smooth with some grinding stones in my cordless drill until they were super smooth to touch. This was five years ago and it's still going strong.

1175147623_Unnamedattachment(Medium).thumb.jpeg.b9ad51866642d1cf12febb88a82cc09b.jpeg

Very good test for jb weld Russel 👍👍😀

• Like 1

Love it! The Washtubman lives on. Perhaps you could wear a cape with WTM on it and wear your undies on the outside.

I also used fibreglass resin to go over the entire rim (after the epoxy putty) to build up the rim thickness and to make everything nice & glossy smooth. Epoxy putty shouldn't be 'runny.' You form a paste using your fingers and when it starts to get physically warm (epoxy chemical reaction) push it into the cracks. It will work a treat.

Edited by Fitzy
Forgot something
  • Like 2